You want a Ruby extension? Talk to me, baby

Joe Van Dyk

I've figured that it's probably worth my time to learn how to better
write Ruby extensions (as a way to practice my C).

Are there any C or C++ libraries out there that someone would
appreciate an open-sourced Ruby extension for?

Thanks,
Joe

23 Answers

Gregory Brown

On 1/8/06, Joe Van Dyk <joevandyk@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've figured that it's probably worth my time to learn how to better
> write Ruby extensions (as a way to practice my C).
>
> Are there any C or C++ libraries out there that someone would
> appreciate an open-sourced Ruby extension for?

Improving, expanding, cleaning up and otherwise working on the mysql c
binding would certainly be something I'd appreciate. Though I do not
know the status of it's development activity...

gabriele renzi

Joe Van Dyk ha scritto:
> Hi,
>
> I've figured that it's probably worth my time to learn how to better
> write Ruby extensions (as a way to practice my C).
>
> Are there any C or C++ libraries out there that someone would
> appreciate an open-sourced Ruby extension for?

enhancing/updating ruby-gst, the bindings for gstreamer.
IIRC there are no updates to hstreamer 0.10, yet.

Christian Neukirchen

Joe Van Dyk <joevandyk@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I've figured that it's probably worth my time to learn how to better
> write Ruby extensions (as a way to practice my C).
>
> Are there any C or C++ libraries out there that someone would
> appreciate an open-sourced Ruby extension for?

I'd *love* to see a binding for Metakit:
http://www.equi4.co...

--
Christian Neukirchen <chneukirchen@gmail.com> http://chneuk...

Gregory Seidman

On Sun, Jan 08, 2006 at 05:29:01PM +0900, Joe Van Dyk wrote:
} Hi,
}
} I've figured that it's probably worth my time to learn how to better
} write Ruby extensions (as a way to practice my C).
}
} Are there any C or C++ libraries out there that someone would
} appreciate an open-sourced Ruby extension for?

How about libical? It seems to be the gold standard for ical file stuff and
the pure Ruby ical APIs I've tried to use don't seem to do the job as well
as I'd like.

} Thanks,
} Joe
--Greg

vanekl

Jim Freeze

On Jan 8, 2006, at 2:29 AM, Joe Van Dyk wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've figured that it's probably worth my time to learn how to better
> write Ruby extensions (as a way to practice my C).
>
> Are there any C or C++ libraries out there that someone would
> appreciate an open-sourced Ruby extension for?

I would like to see the Packet Capture Library (libpcap) updated.
This library includes classes to access the TCP/IP header and
lets you monitor network traffic.
Currently, the code is for Ruby 1.4.x. This is a very interesting
project
and it may be helpful since you are not starting at ground zero.

I have plans to do the conversion, but it is low on my priority list.

If you want the tar file, just send me an email.

--
Jim Freeze

Victor Reyes

Joe,
I am new to Ruby and I like to do things the "easy" way.

I use DB2 on my job under AIX, an easy, "natural" binding to DB2 would be
great.

Also, since you appear to have so much energy, how about tackling the task
of developing a "native" Ruby GUI environment?
I hate everything that is out there. I mean something like the Java GUI
environment, but for Ruby.

Thank you

Victor

On 1/8/06, Joe Van Dyk <joevandyk@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've figured that it's probably worth my time to learn how to better
> write Ruby extensions (as a way to practice my C).
>
> Are there any C or C++ libraries out there that someone would
> appreciate an open-sourced Ruby extension for?
>
> Thanks,
> Joe

Bob Aman

> How about libical? It seems to be the gold standard for ical file stuff and
> the pure Ruby ical APIs I've tried to use don't seem to do the job as well
> as I'd like.

I second the vote for getting libical going in a Ruby environment.

Also, Victor, you might want to check out Sam Ruby's interface for DB2.
http://www.intertwingly.net/blog/2005/12/12/DB2-interface-for-Rub...

Cheers,
Bob Aman

Robert Klemme

Lou Vanek <vanek@acd.net> wrote:
> if you want to wade into the deep end, I would like a method that
> would tell me about everything that is in scope when the method is called,
> and classify the objects-in-scope as instance variables, class
> variables, class names, global constants, local variables, module
> names--whatever they might be. Symbol.all_symbols is just a tease.
>
> The next thing i would like to do is to be able to "unwind" the
> scope by going "up" one level and perform the same symbol dump as
> defined above, except with the new scope. Recurse until at top level.
> Being able to filter on any particular class of object would just be
> icing.
> Not even sure if this is possible, but it would sure be educational.

You can get quite far with set_trace_func:
http://ruby-doc.org/core/classes/Kernel.ht...

Just store the binding on a stack for all events like "call" and remove it
for "return".

I'm sure with a decent C extension this will be more efficient and probably
more feature rich.

Kind regards

robert

Robert Klemme

Gregory Brown <gregory.t.brown@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1/8/06, Joe Van Dyk <joevandyk@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've figured that it's probably worth my time to learn how to better
>> write Ruby extensions (as a way to practice my C).
>>
>> Are there any C or C++ libraries out there that someone would
>> appreciate an open-sourced Ruby extension for?
>>
> Improving, expanding, cleaning up and otherwise working on the mysql c
> binding would certainly be something I'd appreciate. Though I do not
> know the status of it's development activity...

I'm not sure about MS SQL bindings but IIRC they use ODBC and hence are only
present on Windows builts. If so, integrating http://www.f... then
would be a good idea.

robert