Re: What Continuous Integration Tool?

Vassilis Rizopoulos

1/4/2006 4:13:00 PM

Dan Hinz wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I've a project going that has multiple team members, supports multiple
> processor architectures and multiple languages. We're writing in Ruby
> (with test cases) and we interface to c and c++ using swig.
> Configuration management is done with subversion.
>
> Now with everyone working on the project and having all the platforms
> that need to be supported, I would like to install a continuous
> integration tool. The idea is to trigger the tool from svn commits,
> rebuild and run all the test cases in each of the environments.
>
> Cruise Control is clearly the most widely known tool. However, I'm
> building with rake and make (from the extconf generated with the swig
> stuff) neither of which appear to be supported (by default) by CC. I
> read somewhere that someone was working a CC equivalent in Ruby but have
> lost that information.
>
> So, what is the tool of choice for this group of folks to driver a
> continuous integration activities?

You come a little too early :)
I recently started coding such a beast and I have it at a stage where it
builds, tests and also updates/configures the project servers for my
current project.
It's a small framework (four base classes and a couple of useful
implementations) but by no means ready for public consumption.
Currently I drive a rake/dmake/msbuild build with rdoc and doxygen
generation so I guess I have enough variety :).
The system is dRuby-based at the moment but the concept can be
implemented with Rails or whatever else you like.

I looked around for something that would handle the variety of build
methods my project has and DamageControl looked the more promising, but
I haven't seen any movement on that project since before RubyConf and
the other alternatives (CC etc. ) were just too specialized.
I guess with a bit of coding SwitchTower can be made into a continuous
integration tool as well (is actually very easy)
Cheers,
V.-

--
http://www.braveworl...

http://www.f... - äùñåÜí õðçñåóßá çëåêôñïíéêïý ôá÷õäñïìåßïõ.
http://www.f... - free email service for the Greek-speaking.

26 Answers

Dean Wampler

FWIW, I recently used CruiseControl for a C++/make project. I simply
wrapped the make build in a basic ant script, using ant's ability to
call external shell processes (this was on linux...). The same
approach should work with tools like Rake.

dean

On 1/4/06, Damphyr <damphyr@freemail.gr> wrote:
> Dan Hinz wrote:
> > Greetings,

> > Cruise Control is clearly the most widely known tool. However, I'm
> > building with rake and make (from the extconf generated with the swig
> > stuff) neither of which appear to be supported (by default) by CC. I
> > read somewhere that someone was working a CC equivalent in Ruby but have
> > lost that information.
> >
> > So, what is the tool of choice for this group of folks to driver a
> > continuous integration activities?
Dean Wampler
http://www.aspectprogr...
http://www.newa...
http://www.cont...

Obie Fernandez

Damage Control is what you want.

Unfortunately, I just googled to find a URL to give you and there
doesn't appear to be any good information available.

I'm copying Aslak and hopefully we'll have public information
available soon. I know that he's been working very hard on it for
several months now and I'm pretty sure there is a release forthcoming.

On 1/4/06, Dean Wampler <deanwampler@gmail.com> wrote:
> FWIW, I recently used CruiseControl for a C++/make project. I simply
> wrapped the make build in a basic ant script, using ant's ability to
> call external shell processes (this was on linux...). The same
> approach should work with tools like Rake.
>
> dean
>
> On 1/4/06, Damphyr <damphyr@freemail.gr> wrote:
> > Dan Hinz wrote:
> > > Greetings,

> > > Cruise Control is clearly the most widely known tool. However, I'm
> > > building with rake and make (from the extconf generated with the swig
> > > stuff) neither of which appear to be supported (by default) by CC. I
> > > read somewhere that someone was working a CC equivalent in Ruby but have
> > > lost that information.
> > >
> > > So, what is the tool of choice for this group of folks to driver a
> > > continuous integration activities?
> Dean Wampler
> http://www.aspectprogr...
> http://www.newa...
> http://www.cont...

MiNe 109

Timothy Leary is dead.

Matthew B. Tepper

weary flake <wearyflake@hotmail.com> appears to have caused the following
letters to be typed in

> The NY Times is dead, so naturally they sympathize with their fellow
> dead. So the point is made, the advanced technology of Classical Music
> is dead, Dead, DEAD! Let this shocking realization sink in, that we are
> the walking dead, feasting on the brains of the young and vital; we
> really ought to be ashamed, but we're dead.

Brick-and-mortar stores are also dead. Last week I went to Amoeba Music
in Hollywood. The streets of Hollywood were utterly deserted. There was
no wait to get into the parking structure. The place was not crowded with
maybe a hundred customers. I didn't have to say "excuse me" repeatedly to
move past any other customers browsing the CDs, even in the classical
section. When I was ready to make my purchase, there was no waiting in
line for a sales clerk. I bought a hundred CDs for a penny each, after
which wings miraculously grew from my shoulders, my body became trim and
muscled, my hairline moved forward again, and I was propositioned by Drew
Barrymore and Cameron Diaz.

All of those statements are utterly untrue. Especially the last one, dang!

Read about "Proty" here: http://home.earthlink.net/~oy/...
Opinions expressed here are not necessarily those of my employers

Gerard

Matthew B. Tepper wrote:
> weary flake <wearyflake@hotmail.com> appears to have caused the
> following letters to be typed in
>
> > The NY Times is dead, so naturally they sympathize with their fellow
> > dead. So the point is made, the advanced technology of Classical
> > Music is dead, Dead, DEAD! Let this shocking realization sink in,
> > that we are the walking dead, feasting on the brains of the young
> > and vital; we really ought to be ashamed, but we're dead.
>
> Brick-and-mortar stores are also dead. Last week I went to Amoeba
> Music in Hollywood. The streets of Hollywood were utterly deserted.
> There was no wait to get into the parking structure. The place was
> not crowded with maybe a hundred customers. I didn't have to say
> "excuse me" repeatedly to move past any other customers browsing the
> CDs, even in the classical section. When I was ready to make my
> purchase, there was no waiting in line for a sales clerk. I bought a
> hundred CDs for a penny each, after which wings miraculously grew
> from my shoulders, my body became trim and muscled, my hairline moved
> forward again, and I was propositioned by Drew Barrymore and Cameron
> Diaz.
>
> All of those statements are utterly untrue. Especially the last one,
> dang!

Tepper is dead.

Kip Williams

MiNe 109 wrote:
> Timothy Leary is dead.

Nietsche is dead!
--God

Kip W

Steve de Mena

On 9/1/10 1:15 PM, Matthew B. Tepper wrote:

> Brick-and-mortar stores are also dead. Last week I went to Amoeba Music
> in Hollywood. The streets of Hollywood were utterly deserted. There was
> no wait to get into the parking structure. The place was not crowded with
> maybe a hundred customers. I didn't have to say "excuse me" repeatedly to
> move past any other customers browsing the CDs, even in the classical
> section. When I was ready to make my purchase, there was no waiting in
> line for a sales clerk. I bought a hundred CDs for a penny each, after
> which wings miraculously grew from my shoulders, my body became trim and
> muscled, my hairline moved forward again, and I was propositioned by Drew
> Barrymore and Cameron Diaz.
>
> All of those statements are utterly untrue. Especially the last one, dang!

How many times are you going to bring up Amoeba records as an example
"proving" that brick-and-mortar record stores are not dead?

This is ONE store, of which all used content can't even be considered
for this argument, versus the hundreds (yes, hundreds) of new record
stores this city had in its heyday.

Steve

uncle dave

On Sep 1, 12:14 pm, weary flake <wearyfl...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> oldgerman...@nospam.com (Edward Cowan) wrote:
> > Such a premature obituary boggles the already weary mind! As for Mac:
>
> > Microsoft has just announced Office 2011 for Mac.
> > Firefox for Mac continues to be revised and improved.
> > And just today (NY Times) there is this story, headlined: "Autodesk to
> > Reintroduce AutoCAD for Apple Macs".
>
> The NY Times is dead, so naturally they sympathize with their
> fellow dead.  So the point is made, the advanced technology
> of Classical Music is dead, Dead, DEAD!  Let this shocking
> realization sink in, that we are the walking dead, feasting
> on the brains of the young and vital; we really ought to be
> ashamed, but we're dead.
>
> > And so it goes...  --E.A.C.
>
> > weary flake <wearyfl...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > Children shouldn't play with dead things, so, to sum
> > > up, keep these from the hands of kids:
>
> > > Internet Explorer is dead.
> > > The Mac is dead.
> > > Linux is dead.
> > > Office is dead.
> > > Microsoft?  Dead.
> > > E-mail is dead.
> > > Facebook is dead.
> > > The Blackberry is dead.
> > > Firefox dead.
> > > Desktop dead.
> > > The iPod is dead as a doornail.
> > > RSS is in protocol heaven.
> > > Twitter?  Dead.
> > > Wii is dead.
> > > Netbooks are ancient history.
> > > Print dead, no one reads anymore.
> > > OpenOffice dead.
> > > Flash is dead, either in protocol heaven or hell.
> > > Ipad dead.
> > > E-readers are dead.
> > > The web breathed it's last in 1997.

So what?

weary flake

Steve de Mena <steve@stevedemena.com> wrote:

> On 9/1/10 1:15 PM, Matthew B. Tepper wrote:
>
> > Brick-and-mortar stores are also dead. Last week I went to Amoeba Music
> > in Hollywood. The streets of Hollywood were utterly deserted. There was
> > no wait to get into the parking structure. The place was not crowded with
> > maybe a hundred customers. I didn't have to say "excuse me" repeatedly to
> > move past any other customers browsing the CDs, even in the classical
> > section. When I was ready to make my purchase, there was no waiting in
> > line for a sales clerk. I bought a hundred CDs for a penny each, after
> > which wings miraculously grew from my shoulders, my body became trim and
> > muscled, my hairline moved forward again, and I was propositioned by Drew
> > Barrymore and Cameron Diaz.
> >
> > All of those statements are utterly untrue. Especially the last one, dang!
>
> How many times are you going to bring up Amoeba records as an example
> "proving" that brick-and-mortar record stores are not dead?
>
> This is ONE store, of which all used content can't even be considered
> for this argument, versus the hundreds (yes, hundreds) of new record
> stores this city had in its heyday.

LA is DEAD, and was dead long before the CD was even invented; why do
you think so many movies about the living dead have been made about LA?

oldgermanist

"De mortuis nisi bonum." --E.A.C.

--
hrabanus