Re: Ruby projects and interfaces to revision control systems (Darcs vs. Cogito

Christian Neukirchen

1/4/2006 1:31:00 PM

"Tom Copeland" <tom@infoether.com> writes:

>> Here's missing one important point: While SVN ist generally
>> much friendlier then CVS, it's also more fragile. Especially
>> the BerkeleyDB-backend should be avoided at any cost as
>> berkdb is fragile on its own.
>
> Yup, I've heard that too. All RubyForge svn backends are using fsfs; I
> even compiled Svn --without-berkeley-db just to avoid any possibility of
> using that....

Bah, you can just admit you wanted to avoid all that library trouble! *g*

--
Christian Neukirchen <chneukirchen@gmail.com> http://chneuk...

1 Answer

Tom Copeland

On Wed, 2006-01-04 at 22:31 +0900, Christian Neukirchen wrote:
> "Tom Copeland" <tom@infoether.com> writes:
>
> >> Here's missing one important point: While SVN ist generally
> >> much friendlier then CVS, it's also more fragile. Especially
> >> the BerkeleyDB-backend should be avoided at any cost as
> >> berkdb is fragile on its own.
> >
> > Yup, I've heard that too. All RubyForge svn backends are using fsfs; I
> > even compiled Svn --without-berkeley-db just to avoid any possibility of
> > using that....
>
> Bah, you can just admit you wanted to avoid all that library trouble! *g*

So true! I did have a bit of a struggle with getting SWIG to the right
version to get ViewVC running with Subversion; descended into RPM
dependency hell there for a bit. But, it all got sorted out
eventually...

Yours,

Tom