Rubyhelp wanted /offered

PG

1/3/2006 8:24:00 AM

hi guys - I read some of the posts here & wanted to point out that
rubyforums.co.uk has just 'opened its doors' so to speak - anways
figured we could all use the best ruby communities possible so wanted to
let you know there are some cool resources there for anyone interested,
it's new remember so there arent loads of posts - but I picked up some
useful stuff there, I think if we get it going it has good potential,
bye for now :)

Paul

tsumeruby

On Tuesday 03 January 2006 05:23 pm, PG wrote:
> hi guys - I read some of the posts here & wanted to point out that
> rubyforums.co.uk has just 'opened its doors' so to speak - anways
> figured we could all use the best ruby communities possible so wanted to
> let you know there are some cool resources there for anyone interested,
> it's new remember so there arent loads of posts - but I picked up some
> useful stuff there, I think if we get it going it has good potential,
> bye for now :)
>
> Paul

Okay, but its using forum software made in php. :) The true ruby elitists will
have problems using the forum for religious reasons.

Tsume

Christian Neukirchen

tsumeruby@tsumelabs.com writes:

> On Tuesday 03 January 2006 05:23 pm, PG wrote:
>> hi guys - I read some of the posts here & wanted to point out that
>> rubyforums.co.uk has just 'opened its doors' so to speak - anways
>> figured we could all use the best ruby communities possible so wanted to
>> let you know there are some cool resources there for anyone interested,
>> it's new remember so there arent loads of posts - but I picked up some
>> useful stuff there, I think if we get it going it has good potential,
>> bye for now :)
>>
>> Paul
>
> Okay, but its using forum software made in php. :) The true ruby elitists will
> have problems using the forum for religious reasons.

Ruby is no religion.

--
Christian Neukirchen <chneukirchen@gmail.com> http://chneuk...

Ryan Leavengood

On 1/3/06, Christian Neukirchen <chneukirchen@gmail.com> wrote:

> Ruby is no religion.

Heretic!!! Recant!!!

</kidding>

As long as it works and I don't have to maintain it, I don't really
care what language an application is written in. I suspect most people
are like me.

Ryan

dblack

james_b

Christian Neukirchen wrote:
> tsumeruby@tsumelabs.com writes:
>

>>On Tuesday 03 January 2006 05:23 pm, PG wrote:
>>
>>>hi guys - I read some of the posts here & wanted to point out that
>>>rubyforums.co.uk has just 'opened its doors' so to speak - anways
>>>figured we could all use the best ruby communities possible so wanted to
>>>let you know there are some cool resources there for anyone interested,
>>>it's new remember so there arent loads of posts - but I picked up some
>>>useful stuff there, I think if we get it going it has good potential,
>>>bye for now :)
>>>
>>>Paul
>>
>>Okay, but its using forum software made in php. :) The true ruby elitists will
>>have problems using the forum for religious reasons.
>

> Ruby is no religion.

Alas.

I keep hoping it will turn into a cult or a super-secret society,
perhaps a mythical, creeping swarm of hookah-smoking code ninjas, or
_something_, but then people on this list go and ruin it by being open
and inviting and helpful to one and all.

Spoil sports.

James

--

http://www.ru... - Ruby Help & Documentation
http://www.artima.c... - Ruby Code & Style: Writers wanted

Francis Hwang

dblack@wobblini.net wrote:
> I'm happy to say I don't know any true Ruby elitists.

Whatever, dude. That's because we're too cool to hang out with you.

f.

Todd

James Britt wrote:

> > Ruby is no religion.
>
> Alas.
>
> I keep hoping it will turn into a cult or a super-secret society,
> perhaps a mythical, creeping swarm of hookah-smoking code ninjas, or
> _something_, but then people on this list go and ruin it by

_This_ is exactly what cults do (or pretend to do) and not secret
societies:

> being open and inviting and helpful to one and all.
>
> Spoil sports.
>

> James

Ruby does happen to be the biggest grassroots movement I've seen since
Mr. Linus Torvalds humbly introduced a new OS a while back. I suppose
there are similar other examples, but for this one ... well, I'm in.

As for ninjas, well, do your research.

Todd

Ross Bamford

On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 16:39:13 -0000, <dblack@wobblini.net> wrote:

> I'm happy to say I don't know any true Ruby elitists.

In my humble, and possibly controversial opinion, I'd suggest it could be
about the fact that the Ruby community seems to have a greater density of
hackers than many others, so it's more common for Rubyists to know (and
even love) several languages than with, say, Perl or Python, where a
greater proportion of the community is probably mostly monolingual.

--
Ross Bamford - rosco@roscopeco.remove.co.uk

Hal E. Fulton

Francis Hwang wrote:
> dblack@wobblini.net wrote:
>
>>I'm happy to say I don't know any true Ruby elitists.
>

> Whatever, dude. That's because we're too cool to hang out with you.

LOL.

Hal

Chad Perrin

On Wed, Jan 04, 2006 at 02:42:57AM +0900, Ross Bamford wrote:
> On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 16:39:13 -0000, <dblack@wobblini.net> wrote:
>
> >I'm happy to say I don't know any true Ruby elitists.
>
> In my humble, and possibly controversial opinion, I'd suggest it could be
> about the fact that the Ruby community seems to have a greater density of
> hackers than many others, so it's more common for Rubyists to know (and
> even love) several languages than with, say, Perl or Python, where a
> greater proportion of the community is probably mostly monolingual.

It'd be especially controversial if the sort of non-hacker that doesn't
know the classic definition of "hacker" saw that.

--
Chad Perrin [ CCD CopyWrite | http://ccd.ap... ]

"A script is what you give the actors. A program
is what you give the audience." - Larry Wall