SSLSocket - where does the encryption happen?

Bill Kelly

1/2/2006 2:18:00 AM

Howdy all, and Happy New Year.

I'm looking at OpenSSL::SSL::SSLSocket (openssl/ssl.rb), and
also the code in drb/ssl.rb and webrick/ssl.rb ... trying to
understand where the actual encryption/decryption takes place.

All three of these are pretty similar - they set up an
SSLContext, and they also wrap a plain ol' TCPSocket. But I'm
having trouble locating any code that would be performing the
encryption/decryption on the actual I/O.

Is it right in front of my eyes and I'm not seeing it? If
anyone could help shed some light on this I'd be grateful.

Thanks,

Regards,

Bill

2 Answers

Ilmari Heikkinen

On 1/2/06, Bill Kelly <billk@cts.com> wrote:> Howdy all, and Happy New Year.>> I'm looking at OpenSSL::SSL::SSLSocket (openssl/ssl.rb), and> also the code in drb/ssl.rb and webrick/ssl.rb ... trying to> understand where the actual encryption/decryption takes place.>> All three of these are pretty similar - they set up an> SSLContext, and they also wrap a plain ol' TCPSocket. But I'm> having trouble locating any code that would be performing the> encryption/decryption on the actual I/O.>> Is it right in front of my eyes and I'm not seeing it? If> anyone could help shed some light on this I'd be grateful.>If I'm not terribly mistaken, all the actual work takes place in the Cextension.http://www.ruby-lang.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/ruby/ext/openssl/ossl_... there's the SSLSocket functions at least

Bill Kelly

Hi Ilmari,

From: "Ilmari Heikkinen" <ilmari.heikkinen@gmail.com>
> On 1/2/06, Bill Kelly <billk@cts.com> wrote:
>>
>> I'm looking at OpenSSL::SSL::SSLSocket (openssl/ssl.rb), and
>> also the code in drb/ssl.rb and webrick/ssl.rb ... trying to
>> understand where the actual encryption/decryption takes place.
>
> If I'm not terribly mistaken, all the actual work takes place in the C
> extension.
> http://www.ruby-lang.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/ruby/ext/openssl/...
> <- there's the SSLSocket functions at least

Thanks much! I should have realized... After all, the ruby-side SSLSocket
class has no initialize()

class SSLSocket
include Buffering
include SocketForwarder