Re: On Symbols

Dan Shafer

12/30/2005 7:19:00 PM

What a long, sometimes interesting, sometimes confusing thread that
has been (and apparently continues to be)!

For me, symbols weren't very mysterious. I'm a Ruby Nuby but I've
been programming in languages that use symbols (e.g., Smalltalk) for
a long time. I thought the most cogent response was the one that said
all the discussion about what symbols *really* are under the covers
were implementation details. I got it.

On Dec 30, 2005, at 5:39 AM, Devin Mullins wrote:

> Hey, all you lurkers:
>
> Have any of the explanations in the thread (What is the difference
> between :foo and "foo" ?) helped you understand symbols? A
> combination of them? Or a combination of a couple of explanations,
> and an irb session? Which ones? Why? If you don't want to get
> involved in (what seems to be turning into) a flamewar, email me
> personally (hint: don't click "Reply" :P), and I'll compile the
> results anonymously.
>
> I think we all agree that everybody learns differently, and so I
> think we're in dire need of feedback from somebody other than Chad
> (no offense).
>
> Devin

Dan Shafer
Technology Visionary - Technology Assessment - Documentation
"Looking at technology from every angle"
http://www.eclec...