Gary Allum

12/30/2005 11:06:00 AM

Will Visual Studio 2005 work with Ruby, or does it not have plugins for
the syntax?

--
Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera...

3 Answers

Austin Ziegler

On 30/12/05, Gary Allum <shadarach@gmail.com> wrote:
> Will Visual Studio 2005 work with Ruby, or does it not have plugins for
> the syntax?

You can edit Ruby files with any version of Visual Studio, but it
doesn't understand Ruby's syntax. Probably won't ever, but I have been
surprised by Redmond before. Even if it does, it won't really know how
to "run" Ruby programs and certainly won't have the debugging
features. I don't recommend VS for working with Ruby.

-austin
--
Austin Ziegler * halostatue@gmail.com
* Alternate: austin@halostatue.ca

Jeff

Gary Allum wrote:
> Will Visual Studio 2005 work with Ruby, or does it not have plugins for
> the syntax?

I'm considering writing a VS2005 add-in that will let me write Ruby code
with syntax highlighting, and let me run an .rb file with output going
to a console window.

I haven't had enough time with VS2005 to find out how feasible this is
going to be. In VS2003 it would have been a major pain. I'm hoping
they've made the text editor more reusable and that there's some way to
override, say, the class view, but I'm not holding my breath.

What I really want is a way to embed just the text-editor window from VS
into my own app, because the text editing stuff is very good, but I
don't really want the rest of Visual Studio. So far I can't figure out
how to do that. (I've tried the Scite .Net control but it was buggy and
I never got it to work correctly.)

If there's actually anyone else who would be interested in using such an
add-in for VS2005, let me know so that I can let you know if/when I get
it finished.

Jeff
www.softiesonrails.com

Michael Trier

Check out DXCore by Mark Miller and friends (creators of CodeRush and
Refactor!). It's a free library that makes developing add-ins much easier.

It can be found here:

http://www.devexpress.com/Downloads/N...

Michael Trier