irb and tab key in Mac OS X

Rich

12/27/2005 3:56:00 PM

Not sure if this is a readline issue or an irb issue, so I'll venture
the question here. When I run irb (in Mac OS X v10.3, with Ruby
v1.8.2) and press the tab key, I get a print-out of the current
directory. Is it possible to re-map the tab key in irb to insert a
tab (or some # of spaces) at the prompt?

Also, just curious, where does the name irb come from? I'm guessing
"Interactive RuBy", but given the language's Japanese origin, I could
be wrong.

Thanks a bunch.

-Rich

2 Answers

Rich

Nevermind on the first question, just found the solution in the list archives.

On 12/27/05, Rich <rjseagraves@gmail.com> wrote:
> Not sure if this is a readline issue or an irb issue, so I'll venture
> the question here. When I run irb (in Mac OS X v10.3, with Ruby
> v1.8.2) and press the tab key, I get a print-out of the current
> directory. Is it possible to re-map the tab key in irb to insert a
> tab (or some # of spaces) at the prompt?
>
> Also, just curious, where does the name irb come from? I'm guessing
> "Interactive RuBy", but given the language's Japanese origin, I could
> be wrong.
>
> Thanks a bunch.
>
> -Rich

J. Ryan Sobol