Blunyx game library for Ruby

Alexander Jakopin

12/27/2005 12:17:00 PM

I'm very new at Ruby, and I like it very much. :)
The only thing I would need to be completly happy with Ruby would be a
game library. I already have looked into RUDL and Ruby/Gosu and I think
Ruby/Gosu looks very good, but not exactly like I want it.
So I have started writing my own game library, Blunyx. I think it's a
good training for me.

Some of my main goals:
- Very easy(a non programmer should be able to read a game's source)
- Clean design
- Good documentation
- Crossplatform

Blunyx will be split into three parts:
- Core (written in c++)
- Mid Level (The Ruby part of the engine)
- High Level (The API which the user will see)

If it's not necessery to have a Mid and a High Level api i'll mix them
together into one ;)

I'm open for sugestions.

the projects site: http://blunyx.sourc...

Alex

11 Answers

Dirk Meijer

great!
i've always wanted something to create games in ruby, and i agree that RUDL
and Ruby/Gosu just aren't enough.
but as i'm not experienced enough to write anything this advanced, i'm glad
some one else will :-)
i look forward to it!
greetings, Dirk.

2005/12/27, Alexander Jakopin <setrodox@users.sourceforge.net>:

> I'm very new at Ruby, and I like it very much. :)
> The only thing I would need to be completly happy with Ruby would be a
> game library. I already have looked into RUDL and Ruby/Gosu and I think
> Ruby/Gosu looks very good, but not exactly like I want it.
> So I have started writing my own game library, Blunyx. I think it's a
> good training for me.
>
> Some of my main goals:
> - Very easy(a non programmer should be able to read a game's source)
> - Clean design
> - Good documentation
> - Crossplatform
>
> Blunyx will be split into three parts:
> - Core (written in c++)
> - Mid Level (The Ruby part of the engine)
> - High Level (The API which the user will see)
>
> If it's not necessery to have a Mid and a High Level api i'll mix them
> together into one ;)
>
> I'm open for sugestions.
>
> the projects site: http://blunyx.sourc...
>
> Alex

Alexander Jakopin

On Tue, 2005-12-27 at 22:06 +0900, Dirk Meijer wrote:
> great!
> i've always wanted something to create games in ruby, and i agree that RUDL
> and Ruby/Gosu just aren't enough.
> but as i'm not experienced enough to write anything this advanced, i'm glad
> some one else will :-)
> i look forward to it!
> greetings, Dirk.

Thanks :)
As I'm not very experienced with ruby many things will look not so
rubyesque as it should in v0.1(targeted for my birthday, 19.01.2005).

The first version of the core(the lowlevel c++ part) is nearly
finished(graphics only right now, other things for later).

Ivan Vodopiviz

wow, I'm really looking forward to it. Good luck with your project Alexander n_n

--
BlueSteel | | Merkoth

Alexander Jakopin

A question:
Where should the coordinate (0,0) be? Like in many other 2d engines at
the top-left corner, or like everything else in the bottom-left corner?
Maybe switchable(should be very easy to implement)?

btw, I already can use the BlunyxCore in irb for drawing colored
rectangles in a window :)

Dirk Meijer

2005/12/27, Alexander Jakopin <setrodox@users.sourceforge.net>:

> A question:
> Where should the coordinate (0,0) be? Like in many other 2d engines at
> the top-left corner, or like everything else in the bottom-left corner?
> Maybe switchable(should be very easy to implement)?
>
> btw, I already can use the BlunyxCore in irb for drawing colored
> rectangles in a window :)

i'd say top-left, or center (which might be useful in sin/cos-drawings..)
greetings, Dirk.

Alexander Jakopin

On Wed, 2005-12-28 at 01:23 +0900, Dirk Meijer wrote:
> 2005/12/27, Alexander Jakopin <setrodox@users.sourceforge.net>:
>
> > A question:
> > Where should the coordinate (0,0) be? Like in many other 2d engines at
> > the top-left corner, or like everything else in the bottom-left corner?
> > Maybe switchable(should be very easy to implement)?
> >
> > btw, I already can use the BlunyxCore in irb for drawing colored
> > rectangles in a window :)
> >

> i'd say top-left, or center (which might be useful in sin/cos-drawings..)
> greetings, Dirk.
I'll let the user decide, standard is top-left now. Center as (0,0) is a
cool idea, will be implementet in v0.1 or v0.2 :)

Julian Raschke

Hey,

> i've always wanted something to create games in ruby, and i agree that
> RUDL
> and Ruby/Gosu just aren't enough.

sorry to go OT to collect feedback here, but we get so little direct
criticism - is there something specific you're missing about Ruby/Gosu?
I'll admit that the focus from my side has been on C++/Gosu so far, but
I'm still trying to make Ruby/Gosu as pleasant and complete as possible,
and I'm still collecting features for the upcoming 0.6 release.

Julian

Alexander Jakopin

On Thu, 2005-12-29 at 10:22 +0900, Julian Raschke wrote:
> Hey,
>
> > i've always wanted something to create games in ruby, and i agree that
> > RUDL
> > and Ruby/Gosu just aren't enough.
>
> sorry to go OT to collect feedback here, but we get so little direct
> criticism - is there something specific you're missing about Ruby/Gosu?
> I'll admit that the focus from my side has been on C++/Gosu so far, but
> I'm still trying to make Ruby/Gosu as pleasant and complete as possible,
> and I'm still collecting features for the upcoming 0.6 release.

np about going OT

some things that come to my mind which could be added to gosu:

more documentation(for me it is enough, but I really think that an well
documented, easy game library could attract non-programmers, which is a
good thing IMO).

ressource managment(for easy art packaging)

some higher level things like a tile engine

prepackaged debian binaries ;)

please don't be offended by my attempt to create another game library
for ruby

Alex

James Gray

On Dec 28, 2005, at 7:22 PM, Julian Raschke wrote:

> sorry to go OT to collect feedback here, but we get so little direct
> criticism - is there something specific you're missing about Ruby/
> Gosu?

For me, it's native Mac OS X support.

James Edward Gray II

Julian Raschke

Hi again,

> For me, it's native Mac OS X support.

...which already works on the iBook I'm using right now, all that has to
be done is to write all the docs. Sigh.

Julian