The above solutions share a problem

elisabeth.mangler

12/27/2005 3:58:00 AM

Example:

require 'date'
require 'time'
dt = DateTime.parse('2005-12-24T12:00:00Z') # UTC
lt = Time.parse(dt.strftime("%c"))
puts dt.asctime << " " << dt.zone
puts lt.asctime << " " << lt.zone

Output:

Sat Dec 24 12:00:00 2005 Z
Sat Dec 24 12:00:00 2005 CET

Timezone data is lost ("%c" does not include it nor do the other
examples - at least the ones I saw :-)

A solution that works very similar but with time zone included (%Z) und
thus gives expected results:

class DateTime
def to_time
Time.parse(strftime("%a %b %d %H:%M:%S %Z %Y"))

regards

eTM

6 Answers

spamisus

> On Feb 14, 11:40 am, Monica Pignotti <pigno...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
I thought you were leaving.

spamisus

On Feb 14, 12:04 pm, cultxpt <cult...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Feb 14, 11:40 am, Monica Pignotti <pigno...@worldnet.att.net>
> wrote:
>

> > On Feb 14, 12:04 am, cultxpt <cult...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > We are anonymous.
> > > We are legion.
> > > We do not forgive.
> > > We do not forget.
> > > Expect us
>
> > > vs.
>
> > > We are public.
> > > We are tiny.
> > > We forgive.
> > > We forget.
> > > Assume we'll probably get there. Otherwise call and remind us.
>
> > > [props to Mr. Rice]
>
> > Very interesting comparison. Which one matches the "unreasonable"
> > Scientology KSW attitude the best? And which one would be derided as
> > "reasonable" and "theety wheetie" and "open minded", all qualities
> > derided by Scientologists? It's pretty obvious who has the most in
> > common with the Scientology spirit.
>
> > Monica
>
> Monica, you know when you go to another country you're not familiar
> with, and you don't know the customs, you feel kinda lost? Like how to
> eat at the dinner table, whether to open the door for a woman, etc.
> Well, this is that situation. Anonymous has their own culture. It
> takes a while to figure them out, and the only way to do it is to hang
> out with them a bit, like an anthropologist, or just an interested
> person. You're totally misreading Anonymous. Please check them out
> first.
Good analogy, cultxpt. But while regular ARS posters here have
behaved like good hosts, a couple of users with references to
anonymous in their nickname have not always acted much like guests.
Mercifully, though, some seem already to have lost interest and gone
away...
Perhaps new 'anonymous' blood can be brought into ARS by this sort of
'self-selection' process, with those agreeing to behave respectfully
and according to the informal 'rules of the house' welcome to help ARS
grow and explore new directions, and without diminishing the group's
reputation as one of the longest-running, most thoughtful, most
respectable groups on Usenet.

Monica Pignotti

On Feb 14, 1:51 pm, TruthSetsYouFree <TruthSetsYouF...@invalid.host>
wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 10:40:16 -0800 (PST).
> Monica Pignotti <pigno...@worldnet.att.net> Wrote:
>

> >On Feb 14, 12:04 am, cultxpt <cult...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> We are anonymous.
> >> We are legion.
> >> We do not forgive.
> >> We do not forget.
> >> Expect us
>
> >> vs.
>
> >> We are public.
> >> We are tiny.
> >> We forgive.
> >> We forget.
> >> Assume we'll probably get there. Otherwise call and remind us.
>
> >> [props to Mr. Rice]
>
> >Very interesting comparison. Which one matches the "unreasonable"
> >Scientology KSW attitude the best? And which one would be derided as
> >"reasonable" and "theety wheetie" and "open minded", all qualities
> >derided by Scientologists?  It's pretty obvious who has the most in
> >common with the Scientology spirit.
>
> >Monica
>
> Do you even understand what "having fun" means?

Yes, of course this was amusing but it was also ironic in its
similarities to the Scientology attitude.

What lulz stands for?-

No, I've never heard the word before coming into contact with anon. I
managed to get through my GREs with a 710 score without learning that
one!

Monica Pignotti

On Feb 14, 2:04 pm, cultxpt <cult...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Feb 14, 11:40 am, Monica Pignotti <pigno...@worldnet.att.net>
> wrote:
>

> > On Feb 14, 12:04 am, cultxpt <cult...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > We are anonymous.
> > > We are legion.
> > > We do not forgive.
> > > We do not forget.
> > > Expect us
>
> > > vs.
>
> > > We are public.
> > > We are tiny.
> > > We forgive.
> > > We forget.
> > > Assume we'll probably get there. Otherwise call and remind us.
>
> > > [props to Mr. Rice]
>
> > Very interesting comparison. Which one matches the "unreasonable"
> > Scientology KSW attitude the best? And which one would be derided as
> > "reasonable" and "theety wheetie" and "open minded", all qualities
> > derided by Scientologists?  It's pretty obvious who has the most in
> > common with the Scientology spirit.
>
> > Monica
>
> Monica, you know when you go to another country you're not familiar
> with, and you don't know the customs, you feel kinda lost?

Oh please Jeff, you have things backwards. These people are the
newbies and they need to learn from us and prove themselves to us, not
vice versa. I'm not the one who has to kowtow to these kids to get
acceptance and credibility. I have professional credibility already
and certainly don't need it from these kids. They have zero power over
me and it really doesn't matter what they think of me. These kids are
the ones who are quite obviously lost and I mean these particular
kids, not all young people. I'm certainly not lost and am certainly
not willing to give them any illusion of power over me.

>Like how to
> eat at the dinner table, whether to open the door for a woman, etc.
> Well, this is that situation. Anonymous has their own culture. It
> takes a while to figure them out, and the only way to do it is to hang
> out with them a bit, like an anthropologist, or just an interested
> person. You're totally misreading Anonymous.  Please check them out
> first.-

I don't think I am, based on their very recent history of antisocial
deeds and I don't buy that they all of a sudden changed just because
they had one day of picketing without incident. The KKK has also
picketed peacefully at times but it doesn't mean that they aren't also
still engaging in objectionable actions. If they claim they have
changed it is going to take more than one day of picketing to prove
that to me.

Monica

barb

Monica Pignotti wrote:
> On Feb 14, 1:51 pm, TruthSetsYouFree <TruthSetsYouF...@invalid.host>
> wrote:
>> On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 10:40:16 -0800 (PST).
>> Monica Pignotti <pigno...@worldnet.att.net> Wrote:

>>> Very interesting comparison. Which one matches the "unreasonable"
>>> Scientology KSW attitude the best? And which one would be derided as
>>> "reasonable" and "theety wheetie" and "open minded", all qualities
>>> derided by Scientologists? It's pretty obvious who has the most in
>>> common with the Scientology spirit.
>>> Monica
>> Do you even understand what "having fun" means?
>
> Yes, of course this was amusing but it was also ironic in its
> similarities to the Scientology attitude.
>
> What lulz stands for?-
>
> No, I've never heard the word before coming into contact with anon. I
> managed to get through my GREs with a 710 score without learning that
> one!

You are quite impressed with your bad self, aren't you? It probably
never occurs to you that other people here just might surpass your
awesomeness, because they don't feel the need to boast about their
accomplishments.

--
Barb
Chaplain, ARSCC (wdne)

barb

Monica Pignotti wrote:
> On Feb 14, 2:04 pm, cultxpt <cult...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Feb 14, 11:40 am, Monica Pignotti <pigno...@worldnet.att.net>
>> wrote:

>>> Very interesting comparison. Which one matches the "unreasonable"
>>> Scientology KSW attitude the best? And which one would be derided as
>>> "reasonable" and "theety wheetie" and "open minded", all qualities
>>> derided by Scientologists? It's pretty obvious who has the most in
>>> common with the Scientology spirit.
>>> Monica
>> Monica, you know when you go to another country you're not familiar
>> with, and you don't know the customs, you feel kinda lost?
>
> Oh please Jeff, you have things backwards. These people are the
> newbies and they need to learn from us and prove themselves to us, not
> vice versa.

In your mind, maybe. They are learning from us. They certainly proved
themselves last Sunday, not that is was necessary.

I'm not the one who has to kowtow to these kids to get
> acceptance and credibility. I have professional credibility already
> and certainly don't need it from these kids.

Yes, do keep on repeating that over and over. It rather suggests that
you doubt your own professional credibility in the eyes of others, so
you have to keep beating the expired equine. Nobody cares. Really. You
seem to require a pedestal, and nobody is even bringing you a shoebox to
stand on.

They have zero power over
> me and it really doesn't matter what they think of me. These kids are
> the ones who are quite obviously lost and I mean these particular
> kids, not all young people. I'm certainly not lost and am certainly
> not willing to give them any illusion of power over me.

What the fuck are you talking about "power over you?" Nobody is even
seeking to have power over you. That is laughable, and ridiculous. Nice
the way you managed to squeeze in a little dead agenting in between your
protestations of your Mighty Independence and Abilities to not be
controlled by an anonymous bunch of Scientology critics. You also
persist in defining them as kids, another attempt to demean and
invalidate anonymous. Some are. Many are not. By festering over this,
you actually ARE giving them power over you. The power to make you
produce lulz. And that itself is lulzy.

>> Like how to
>> eat at the dinner table, whether to open the door for a woman, etc.
>> Well, this is that situation. Anonymous has their own culture. It
>> takes a while to figure them out, and the only way to do it is to hang
>> out with them a bit, like an anthropologist, or just an interested
>> person. You're totally misreading Anonymous. Please check them out
>> first.-
>
> I don't think I am, based on their very recent history of antisocial
> deeds and I don't buy that they all of a sudden changed just because
> they had one day of picketing without incident. The KKK has also
> picketed peacefully at times but it doesn't mean that they aren't also
> still engaging in objectionable actions. If they claim they have
> changed it is going to take more than one day of picketing to prove
> that to me.
>
> Monica

Nobody has to prove anything to you, Monica. You are nobody. Get over
yourself!

Barb
Chaplain, ARSCC (wdne)
I can haz Legion?