Re: Bruce Eckel and Ruby

tony summerfelt

12/22/2005 2:03:00 PM

Hal Fulton wrote on 12/20/2005 3:33 PM:

> As for significant whitespace -- surely it's a matter of opinion whether
> this is the "right" way or not. One can make arguments in both directions.
> I was initially drawn to the idea, but after playing with it, I found it
> had its drawbacks.

i'll say. when one space too many or too few can mean time spent
hunting it down to make a program work i think it's a serious design
flaw in a language.

near the end of my python experience i found my self using console
based editors so i could see the spacing a lot easier.

--
http://home.cogeco.ca/~ts...
telnet://ventedspleen.dyndns.org

3 Answers

Steve Litt

On Thursday 22 December 2005 09:03 am, tony summerfelt wrote:
> Hal Fulton wrote on 12/20/2005 3:33 PM:
> > As for significant whitespace -- surely it's a matter of
> > opinion whether this is the "right" way or not. One can make
> > arguments in both directions. I was initially drawn to the
> > idea, but after playing with it, I found it had its drawbacks.
>
> i'll say. when one space too many or too few can mean time spent
> hunting it down to make a program work i think it's a serious
> design flaw in a language.

That's why I use tabs and only tabs for indentation, in any
language. You can set Vim or enscript to make a tabstop ever 3
columns, but there's no way to mistakenly put too few or too many.

I think spaces are OK also, but when people start mixing tabs and
spaces, I just gotta scream.

SteveT

Steve Litt
http://www.troublesh...
slitt@troubleshooters.com

Bob Showalter

Steve Litt wrote:
> That's why I use tabs and only tabs for indentation, in any
> language.

Oh Lord, lets not go there... ;-)

Jeff Wood

ha +1