Re: Bruce Eckel and Ruby

tony summerfelt

12/22/2005 2:00:00 PM

Hal Fulton wrote on 12/20/2005 3:33 PM:

> <sigh>

> I really don't understand the point of this. If you like Python, use it.
> If you like Ruby, use it. I am in the latter category.

i usually get slammed for pointing out the following (my hatemail, and
spam always go way up)

in my opinion it seems like python people just aren't happy with: "if
you like python, use python. if you like ruby, use ruby." or "add BOTH
python and ruby in your toolbox"

i think the above is sage advice, but in my year in python land: you
used python exclusively (because it was the best). no need to use any
other language. they weren't interested comparisons. if <blank>
language had a feature that python didn't then that feature was
"useless", "implemented wrong", or "this is the way we do that in
python, it's the best way to do it."

i think the best way to compare the two languages is to learn them. i
used python for about a year, and i've used ruby now, for 2 years or so.

i came from a perl background so ruby was relatively easy to pick up.
but i also like and use tcl/tk on a regular basis. i don't use python
anymore because there is ruby

the choice for me was easy because it was so clear.

as an aside, my all time favorite feature in ruby is the threading i
don't care if it's native or not. i tend to overuse threads, if a
program can be sped up at all with threads, i use them.

--
http://home.cogeco.ca/~ts...
telnet://ventedspleen.dyndns.org