Re: Bruce Eckel and Ruby

Chad Perrin

12/22/2005 7:14:00 AM

On Wed, Dec 21, 2005 at 06:17:48PM +0900, Tim Hammerquist wrote:

> There are two things that I think python got absolutely *right*:
> One is Python's ternary expressions ("if 0 < x < 10:"), which
> have functional equivalents in Ruby. The other is significant
> whitespace.

Glad ya think so. I find it obnoxious, and it contributes to an
appearance to the source that makes my eyes bleed. It detracts from
visual symmetry and makes everything look unfinished to me.

That's just me, though -- just like your impression that it's "right" is
just you.

--
Chad Perrin [ CCD CopyWrite | http://ccd.ap... ]

Tim Hammerquist

Chad Perrin <perrin@apotheon.com> wrote:
> Tim Hammerquist wrote:
> > There are two things that I think python got absolutely
> > *right*: One is Python's ternary expressions ("if
> > 0 < x < 10:"), which have functional equivalents in Ruby.
> > The other is significant whitespace.
>
> Glad ya think so. I find it obnoxious, and it contributes to
> an appearance to the source that makes my eyes bleed. It
> detracts from visual symmetry and makes everything look
> unfinished to me.
>
> That's just me, though -- just like your impression that it's
> "right" is just you.

Ok, to be fair, that "right" above is my opinion.

And like I said in the bit that was snipped, if more CS students
were taught to indent correctly, I probably wouldn't be so
opinionated on this matter.

Cheers!
Tim Hammerquist