Re: Bruce Eckel and Ruby

Chad Perrin

12/22/2005 6:40:00 AM

On Wed, Dec 21, 2005 at 09:08:45AM +0900, Jim Weirich wrote:
> Timothy Hunter wrote:
> > Jim Weirich wrote:
> >> unpopular.
> > With all due respect, Jim, I think it would be a mistake to overlook Mr.
> > Eckel's pecuniary interests in this debate. I was at Barnes & Noble just
> > this afternoon and I didn't see his name on any books about Ruby.
>
> It would indeed be a mistake to overlook it, but I don't see the facts
> supporting the conclusion.
>
> Mr. Eckel is a strong critic of Java, particularly in the area of
> checked exceptions and generics. Back when I was actually teaching Java
> (6 or so years ago), his book "Thinking in Java" was one the few books
> that was able to present the language without being "gushy" about it.
> He frequently pointed out warts in the language. He is also an advocate
> of dynamic typing over static typing and written several good articles
> supporting that position. And finally, he a big fan and advocate of
> Python, one of those "free, easy to learn, rewards mastery, and has
> flocks of eager devotees who want to share their knowledge for free"
> languages.
>
> In short, to accuse him of being short sighted with respect to other
> languages because he has a vested interest in teaching Java needs to
> ignore the fact that he never been slow to critisize Java in the past
> when he sees problems.
>
> And finally, his blog entry is less about supporting Java, and more
> asking the question of why Ruby over Python.

I think there's a middle ground here:

It looks to me like the way Eckel is approaching this, he sees what he
perceives to be an overreaction to Ruby, and is overreacting to it in
turn. He doesn't seem interested in learning for himself what there is
to like about Ruby over Python, just in making a case against the
statements he's already seen about what there is to like about it.

Like I said, a little overreaction, I think. If there are Ruby
hyperenthusiasts, he seems to be a Ruby hypoenthusiast.

--
Chad Perrin [ CCD CopyWrite | http://ccd.ap... ]