Re: Ruby and Debian

mathew

12/21/2005 10:39:00 PM

Hal Fulton wrote:
> He's a Debian guy. Our purpose in meeting was to install Ruby and rubygems
> and one other library and then play with it a little. (He doesn't know
> Ruby yet.)
>
> He tried an apt-get before I got there. After fiddling a bit, I suggested
> installing from source -- rubygems was complaining about zlib.

Probably not such a good idea, because then you lose dependency handling.

> We installed from source, got no zlib, thus rubygems crashed.

Sounds like a bug in Ruby. The ./configure ought to test for the
presence of zlib. I'd report the bug.

> Gave up, moved to a different server, did everything the "right" way.
> Wasted over an hour. Never got ruby/zlib/rubygems all installed properly
> on either box.

Well, I've got a vanilla debian-stable server hanging around that I've
never done any Ruby work on, so I've just tried the obvious 'right' way
of doing everything, and it all worked first time:

# apt-get install ruby
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
libruby1.8 ruby1.8
Suggested packages:
ruby1.8-examples rdoc1.8 ri1.8
libruby1.8 ruby ruby1.8
0 upgraded, 3 newly installed, 0 to remove and 4 not upgraded.
Need to get 1500kB/1519kB of archives.
After unpacking 5837kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? Y
[Stuff scrolls past]
# wget http://rubyforge.org/frs/download.php/5207/rubygems-...
# tar -xzf rubygems-0.8.11.tgz
# cd rubygems-0.8.11
# ruby setup.rb
[Stuff scrolls past]
# gem install vim-ruby
[Stuff scrolls past]
Successfully installed vim-ruby-2005.10.07
#

I note also that ruby correctly has zlib as a dependency in Debian
stable. So apt-get install ruby should have installed zlib even if it
was missing.

So I'm guessing your friend's debian box is b0rked in some major way.

mathew
--
<URL:http://www.pobox.com/...
My parents went to the lost kingdom of Hyrule