Re: Shelve module in Ruby?

Joel VanderWerf

12/21/2005 10:19:00 PM

James Edward Gray II wrote:
> On Dec 20, 2005, at 11:27 AM, Bryan wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm fairly new to Ruby and I was wondering if there was a module that
>> functions similarly to the shelve module in Python.
>>
>> The shelve module is a method for packaging a dictionary (hash) of
>> arbritrary objects into a file. I use it as a rudimentary database so
>> that I don't have to rebuild objects from text files over and over.
>>
>> If anyone knows of a module in Ruby that could accomplish this, or a
>> suggestion on how to do this, any help would be appreciated.
>

> Ruby comes with Marshal and YAML, which sounds like what you are
> looking for. Also see PStore, for transactional file storage.

If you want something like PStore, but with both thread- and
process-safe transactions, with finer granularity (treating a file tree
as a single DB), and with configurable mapping to serialization types
(including YAML and Marshal):

http://redshift.sourceforge...
http://redshift.sourceforge...doc/api/index.html