More "Ruby for Java developers"

Tom Copeland

12/21/2005 10:07:00 PM

There's a new article on IBM developerWorks called "Ruby off the Rails":

http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/libra...

It's pointing out various nifty things about Ruby for those Java
developers (and other folks) whose only interaction with Ruby has been
via Rails. It's a "Ruby's good for Rails, and good on its own, too"
kind of thing.

I like the section headings... "Collections done right", good stuff.

Yours,

Tom

3 Answers

Malte Milatz

Tom Copeland:
> There's a new article on IBM developerWorks called "Ruby off the Rails":
>
> http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/libra...

Huh, it is really written from a very Javanese perspective:

| First, Ruby has no brackets or semicolons, and it makes types completely
| optional.

But apart from that, of course, it's always nice to see people understanding
where Ruby can help them better than other langauges.

Malte

Joe Van Dyk

On 12/23/05, Malte Milatz <malte__@gmx-topmail.de> wrote:
> Tom Copeland:
> > There's a new article on IBM developerWorks called "Ruby off the Rails":
> >
> > http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/libra...
>
> Huh, it is really written from a very Javanese perspective:
>
> | First, Ruby has no brackets or semicolons, and it makes types completely
> | optional.
>
> But apart from that, of course, it's always nice to see people understanding
> where Ruby can help them better than other langauges.

Ruby has lots of brackets and braces. And you can use semi-colons.
And it is a strongly-typed language.

Grr.

Malte Milatz

Joe Van Dyk:
> On 12/23/05, Malte Milatz <malte__@gmx-topmail.de> wrote:
>> | First, Ruby has no brackets or semicolons, and it makes types
>> | completely optional.
> Ruby has lots of brackets and braces. And you can use semi-colons. And it
> is a strongly-typed language.

Yea - that's why I quoted the above sentence. ;-)

Malte