Re: Ruby and Debian

Shot - Piotr Szotkowski

12/21/2005 11:16:00 AM

Hello.

Chris Martin:

> I haven't seen a rubygem package for debian since 8.4,

Hyspro seems to have 0.8.11 - see the end of
http://pkg-ruby-extras.alioth.debian.org/rub...

> which can still be used if you do the following
> # gem install rubygems-update
> AND
> # update_rubygems

What is the purpose of this? Does this keep the rubygems updated
'the Debian way', i.e. dpkg knows about any added/removed files?

> Although it's just as easy to install rubygems
> from source, and lately I've just been doing that.

Right, but if you don't put it in /opt, you're polluting the
dpkg's file hierarchy. You could at least `checkinstall -D`.

> For Rails, I ALWAYS use rubygems to install it.
> I've never had luck with the debian packages.

Hm, the rails Debian package always worked for me as a charm.

> Obviously it's kind of a try and see type
> of thing, there really is no "right way".
> As silly as this sounds, I typically install gems via
> gem (rubygems) and anything that starts with lib via apt. ;)

I try to install anything I can via apt, so as to minimise the
filesystem pollution and to have other Debian packages that might
depend on a given thing have it fulfilled without duplications.

I was wondering whether anyone tried
`checkinstall -D gem install ...`
- does this work/makes sense?

Cheers,
-- Shot
--
SCO is the thief who puts a gun to his own head and says 'give
me your money or I'll shoot.' -- Bruce Perens, /.