Re: [ANN] Ruby Code & Style is looking for articles.

Bill Guindon

12/14/2005 9:37:00 PM

On 12/3/05, James Britt <james_b@neurogami.com> wrote:
> Request for Article Submissions
>
> Ruby Code & Style is looking for articles.

Don't know if you ever got any replies to this, but I'd like to
request a specific article.

I'd love to see an article about using Ruby to build a DSL. Seems
Austin Ziegler had mentioned that he had started work on one, not sure
if he's finished it yet.

I see a lot of DSL's out there, and a lot of talk about how Ruby makes
building DSL's easier, but no comprehensive tutorial/overview for the
topic.

Any volunteers? Are there articles out there, and I just haven't found them?

--
Bill Guindon (aka aGorilla)

8 Answers

Eero Saynatkari

Bill Guindon wrote:
> On 12/3/05, James Britt <james_b@neurogami.com> wrote:
>> Request for Article Submissions
>>
>> Ruby Code & Style is looking for articles.
>>

> Don't know if you ever got any replies to this, but I'd like to
> request a specific article.
>
> I'd love to see an article about using Ruby to build a DSL. Seems
> Austin Ziegler had mentioned that he had started work on one, not sure
> if he's finished it yet.
>
> I see a lot of DSL's out there, and a lot of talk about how Ruby makes
> building DSL's easier, but no comprehensive tutorial/overview for the
> topic.
>
> Any volunteers? Are there articles out there, and I just haven't found
> them?

Jim Weirich held a (reportedly very good) presentation on DSLs
at RubyConf2005. At least Ryan Davis is hosting a PDF version:

http://www.zenspider.com/Languages/Ruby/RubyCon...

james_b

Bill Guindon wrote:
> On 12/3/05, James Britt <james_b@neurogami.com> wrote:
>
>>Request for Article Submissions
>>
>>Ruby Code & Style is looking for articles.
>>

> Don't know if you ever got any replies to this, but I'd like to
> request a specific article.

The response was nothing close to what I had hoped. But I, too, would
like to see a good technical article on DSLs.

James Britt

--

http://www.ru... - Ruby Help & Documentation
http://www.artima.c... - Ruby Code & Style: Writers wanted

Bill Guindon

On 12/14/05, Eero Saynatkari <ruby-forum-reg@mailinator.com> wrote:
> Bill Guindon wrote:
> > On 12/3/05, James Britt <james_b@neurogami.com> wrote:
> >> Request for Article Submissions
> >>
> >> Ruby Code & Style is looking for articles.
> >>

> > Don't know if you ever got any replies to this, but I'd like to
> > request a specific article.
> >
> > I'd love to see an article about using Ruby to build a DSL. Seems
> > Austin Ziegler had mentioned that he had started work on one, not sure
> > if he's finished it yet.
> >
> > I see a lot of DSL's out there, and a lot of talk about how Ruby makes
> > building DSL's easier, but no comprehensive tutorial/overview for the
> > topic.
> >
> > Any volunteers? Are there articles out there, and I just haven't found
> > them?
>
> Jim Weirich held a (reportedly very good) presentation on DSLs
> at RubyConf2005. At least Ryan Davis is hosting a PDF version:
>
> http://www.zenspider.com/Languages/Ruby/RubyCon...

Excellent, thanks for the link.
Made me go dig up the videos, the two should go well together.
http://brainspl.at/articles/2005/12/01/rubyconf-files-r...

My request still stands though -- the more info the merrier.

Bill Guindon (aka aGorilla)

Robert Evans

I would also like very much to see a good tutorial on building DSLs
in Ruby. Jim Weirich's talk was a good talk, but I am still missing
some things.

Bob Evans

On Dec 14, 2005, at 3:44 PM, Bill Guindon wrote:

> On 12/14/05, Eero Saynatkari <ruby-forum-reg@mailinator.com> wrote:
>> Bill Guindon wrote:

>>> Don't know if you ever got any replies to this, but I'd like to
>>> request a specific article.
>>>
>>> I'd love to see an article about using Ruby to build a DSL. Seems
>>> Austin Ziegler had mentioned that he had started work on one, not
>>> sure
>>> if he's finished it yet.
>>>
>>> I see a lot of DSL's out there, and a lot of talk about how Ruby
>>> makes
>>> building DSL's easier, but no comprehensive tutorial/overview for
>>> the
>>> topic.
>>>
>>> Any volunteers? Are there articles out there, and I just haven't
>>> found
>>> them?
>>
>> Jim Weirich held a (reportedly very good) presentation on DSLs
>> at RubyConf2005. At least Ryan Davis is hosting a PDF version:
>>
>> http://www.zenspider.com/Languages/Ruby/RubyCon...
>
> Excellent, thanks for the link.
> Made me go dig up the videos, the two should go well together.
> http://brainspl.at/articles/2005/12/01/rubyconf-files-r...
>
> My request still stands though -- the more info the merrier.

>> --

> Bill Guindon (aka aGorilla)

Kev Jackson

> The response was nothing close to what I had hoped. But I, too, would
> like to see a good technical article on DSLs.

I'd like to contribute, but I'm so bogged down here right now that I
won't have time to write anything until at least next (solar) year.
Besides I'm a relative newbie, so my 'code & style' is probably not the
best - still I'd be happy to help

Kev

ptkwt

In article <43A093D9.4040805@neurogami.com>,
James Britt <james_b@neurogami.com> wrote:
>Bill Guindon wrote:
>> On 12/3/05, James Britt <james_b@neurogami.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Request for Article Submissions
>>>
>>>Ruby Code & Style is looking for articles.
>>>

>> Don't know if you ever got any replies to this, but I'd like to
>> request a specific article.
>
>The response was nothing close to what I had hoped. But I, too, would
>like to see a good technical article on DSLs.

I'd like to 'sign up' to do an article on creating DSLs with Ruby, though I
can't really start working on something like that until after mid-February
(after my thesis defense :). Also, I'm not sure that the two DSLs I've created
using Ruby (RHDL - Ruby Hardware Description Language and QDL- Quantum Design
Language) have enough mainstream appeal, so I'd probably have to come up with
some other example DSL.

Phil

Hugh Sasse

pow

In article <489C71C7.DF66801F@hotmMOVEail.com>,
RichTravsky <traRvEsky@hotmMOVEail.com> wrote:

> The right wing and racism sure go together a lot. Ravenel, confederate
> flags, David Duke, Bob Jones University, James Hart...

and found this on the NG
misc.news.internet.discuss
good group
--
If guns are out-lawed. Only the Out-laws & politicians will have guns.