comp.lang.javascript

What triggers "popup blocker"?

groups_nospam

5/3/2016 5:35:00 AM

Hi

Does anyone know what triggers a "popup blocker"?
I'm going to be opening some sub-windows from my main page and don't want to
get caught in a blocker.

Thanks
Rob

8 Answers

Ian Skinner

Unfortantly the answer for that is, "Whatever the programmer(s) of the
popup blocker wanted it to be triggered by." This can very widely from
one popup blocker to another. Many are triggered by any javascript that
generates a new window without any user interaction. Some are even more
restrictive then that.

rob c wrote:
> Hi
>
> Does anyone know what triggers a "popup blocker"?
> I'm going to be opening some sub-windows from my main page and don't want to
> get caught in a blocker.
>
> Thanks
> Rob

axlq

In article <2eednaEBSc9LuAbZnZ2dnUVZ_qednZ2d@tbaytel.net>,
rob c <groups_nospam@rcp.ca> wrote:
>Does anyone know what triggers a "popup blocker"?

Usually, opening a window. Some popup blockers require the user to
do something to cause the window to open to allow it, others don't.
The one I use (Proxomitron) blocks all pop-ups when a window loads
and then restores them after the page is completely loaded.

>I'm going to be opening some sub-windows from my main page and
>don't want to get caught in a blocker.

You can't avoid it. The best solution is to make the site degrade
gracefully. For example, use anchor links with target=_blank to
cause links to open new windows, and also have an onClick javascript
attribute in the anchor to cause the window to have the desired
attributes you want.

-A

JimK2

On Thu, 22 Jun 2006 19:20:54, groups_nospam@rcp.ca (rob c) wrote:

>Hi
>
>Does anyone know what triggers a "popup blocker"?
>I'm going to be opening some sub-windows from my main page and don't want to
>get caught in a blocker.
>
>Thanks
>Rob

Far as i know, their no way to get around pop-up blocker with
un-requested pop-ups except when the user 'allows the popup' is set.

Their is a way to fake a popup using DHTML that gets around pop-up
blockers. Unblockable DHTML Pop-Up
http://www.antssoft.com/wisepopup...

One Dumm Hikk

JimK said the following on 6/23/2006 4:20 AM:
> On Thu, 22 Jun 2006 19:20:54, groups_nospam@rcp.ca (rob c) wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> Does anyone know what triggers a "popup blocker"?
>> I'm going to be opening some sub-windows from my main page and don't want to
>> get caught in a blocker.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Rob
>>

> Far as i know, their no way to get around pop-up blocker with
> un-requested pop-ups except when the user 'allows the popup' is set.
>
> Their is a way to fake a popup using DHTML that gets around pop-up
> blockers. Unblockable DHTML Pop-Up
> http://www.antssoft.com/wisepopup...

Or go here and get a free one:

--
Randy
comp.lang.javascript FAQ - http://jibberi... & newsgroup weekly

Ivan Marsh

On Thu, 22 Jun 2006 19:20:54 +0000, rob c wrote:

> Hi
>
> Does anyone know what triggers a "popup blocker"? I'm going to be
> opening some sub-windows from my main page and don't want to get caught
> in a blocker.
>
> Thanks
> Rob

That's kind of a diplomatic way to say "How do I piss off my end-users by
defeating their pop-up blocker?" isn't it?

Feingold-Obama '08 - Because the Constitution isn't history,
It's the law.

axlq

In article <UaidnVIyFYs5eQbZnZ2dnUVZ_qCdnZ2d@comcast.com>,
Randy Webb <HikksNotAtHome@aol.com> wrote:
>Or go here and get a free one:

That's brilliant - Using CSS+Javascript tricks to render a fake
window within the real window, with a clickable close gadget and
all. So nothing actually pops up, you're just toggling existing
content on and off.

-A

Matt Kruse

axlq wrote:
> That's brilliant - Using CSS+Javascript tricks to render a fake
> window within the real window, with a clickable close gadget and
> all. So nothing actually pops up, you're just toggling existing
> content on and off.

Not really so brilliant - in fact, rather common.
See google's toolset, or yahoo's libs, or
http://www.javascripttoolbox.com/lib/popup/e...

--
Matt Kruse
http://www.JavascriptT...

groups_nospam

In message <e7fdjc$ggm$1@blue.rahul.net> - axlq@spamcop.net (axlq) writes:
:>
[...]

From the sounds of it I should be ok. The pop-up windows I'll be using will
only occur when the user requests them. I was planning on using target=_blank
and was also wondering how to control the attributes.
Can you post a small sample of the onClick script you mentioned?

Thanks
Rob