DBI ADO problem

Mark Ericson

12/14/2005 7:11:00 PM

I was wondering if this exception thrown by my use of DBI ADO is meaningful
to anyone?

c:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/DBD/ADO/ADO.rb:141:in `finish': undefined
method
`Fields' for nil:NilClass (NoMethodError)
from c:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/dbi/dbi.rb:789:in `finish'
from c:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/dbi/dbi.rb:631:in `prepare'

I'm simply trying to call prepare on a method and this looks like some kind
of internal error within the ADO implementation.
9 Answers

Gerard Oneill

Yes, because I'm getting something similar. However I was using win32ole
directly with the ADO COM objects, using a prepared command, thus
creating and adding parameters.

I can give my version of code if someone needs it.

I looked all over the internet (translation: googled) and couldn't find
someone who tried to do one of two things: Pass in a nil (NULL on the
DB side) parameter, specified the default value (not sure if there *is*
a way to do that using ADO, but the FIELDS of the record sets looked
promising), or specified a "no value" for that fields which might allow
the SQLServer provider to use the default.

BTW, a similar error happened when setting a recordset field to nil.

So I'll piggy back on your question ;).

Related, if someone could use the WIN32OLE ADO api to specify a date,
that would be awesome also ;)

Ger.

Mark Ericson wrote:
> I was wondering if this exception thrown by my use of DBI ADO is
> meaningful
> to anyone?
>
> c:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/DBD/ADO/ADO.rb:141:in `finish': undefined
> method
> `Fields' for nil:NilClass (NoMethodError)
> from c:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/dbi/dbi.rb:789:in `finish'
> from c:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/dbi/dbi.rb:631:in `prepare'
>
> I'm simply trying to call prepare on a method and this looks like some
> kind
> of internal error within the ADO implementation.

Phlip

Gerard Oneill wrote:

> Yes, because I'm getting something similar. However I was using win32ole
> directly with the ADO COM objects, using a prepared command, thus
> creating and adding parameters.
>
> I can give my version of code if someone needs it.
>
> I looked all over the internet (translation: googled)

I don't know why you are not simply using ActiveRecord - or one of the other
nifty ORM layers - but this Google seems to work:

http://www.google.com/codesearch?q=Active...

Raid the source, because it has at least one line that should be familiar:

conn = DBI.connect("DBI:ADO:Provider=SQLOLEDB...

The reason you couldn't google this up anywhere else is everyone uses
ActiveRecord (or Brand X) to do this!

--
Phlip

eric gisse

"<SNIP HECKLER>" <..@.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 26 Dec 2009 18:01:28 -0500

Wouldn't it just be easier to ignore people who make fun of you rather than
flip your shit and do this 'snip heckler' nonsense?

Small wonder you've been institutionalized.

nuny@bid.nes

On Dec 26, 2:22 am, Ace0f_5pades <m4de...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On Dec 26, 9:54 pm, alien8er <alien8...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> My original context 4 break silence didn't need your imput.

I replied to "Tiger Would". How many nyms you got, anyway?

> no did I consider it for your benefit;

I cannot imagine a single reason I should take seriously the
opinions of those who believe they "walked in alternate realities"
during acid trips.

> I wouldn't even know what is the condition of your grass

Spectacular non sequitur.

Mark L. Fergerson

cold temperature lover

As much as I would like there being an afterlife not just for me but
for everyone else and I believe that the people who suffered greatly
or died early in this deserve another much longer life free from
suffering, all the scientific evidence we currently have points out
that what makes me "me" and you "you" are just electrical signals in
our brain and when the brain stops firing synapses, it's all really
over for us.

cold temperature lover

As much as I would want there being an afterlife not just for me but
for everyone else and I believe that the people who suffered greatly
or died early in this life deserve another much longer and happier
life, all the scientific evidence we currently have points out that
what makes me "me" and you "you" are just electrical signals in our
brain and when the brain stops firing synapses, it's all really over
for us.

Androcles

"spiritual energy" <solidstate@rocketmail.com> wrote in message
> As much as I would want there being an afterlife not just for me but
> for everyone else and I believe that the people who suffered greatly
> or died early in this life deserve another much longer and happier
> life, all the scientific evidence we currently have points out that
> what makes me "me" and you "you" are just electrical signals in our
> brain and when the brain stops firing synapses, it's all really over
> for us.

You said that two minutes ago. Impatient to see your name in print,
are you?

nuny@bid.nes

On Dec 26, 2:58 pm, Tiger Would <theoreticalfo...@aol.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Dec 2009 15:09:54 -0800 (PST), n...@bid.nes wrote:
>
> >> I've taken LSD hundreds of times and walked in an alternate reality yet
> >> always returned to my normal boring self. I've been trying to tie God
> >> and Science together all my life.
>
> >   I've taken LSD hundreds of times as well,
>
> Liar.

How many people do you know whose I. Q. must be measured in complex
numbers?

> I can tell by your post that you are

That I are *what*?

> I know from my work at MIT on the Jupiter
> speech synthesis engines

That sentence has no.

Mark L. Fergerson

Autymn D. C.

On Dec 25 2009, 9:24 pm, George Hammond <Nowhe...@notspam.com> wrote:
>    Yaah I took all kinds of shit back in the late 60s in
> California when it was a hippie and didn't know any better.
> You know the amazing thing about LSD is that you're only
> talking about ingesting micrograms whereas with most drugs
> you're talk about milligrams.
>    What I now realize is that some of these drugs in very
> minute quantities can affect the  polymerization and
> depolymerization of the microtubules in the neurons of the
> brain. Tthank Christ they apparently sort of act like
> anesthetics and the action is totally reversible.  But I'll
> bet there are drugs out there that aren't reversible.  Now,
> 40 years later, I realized how dangerous  all that bullshit
> was and how lucky we were to have survived it.

Krist was a fictional fraud, liar, sinner, and failer:
http://google.com/groups?q=%22How+com....