Differences between 1.8.2 and 1.8.4

Joe Van Dyk

12/14/2005 3:53:00 PM

Is there any place that summarizes the major differences between Ruby
1.8.2 and Ruby 1.8.4?

I've got Ruby 1.8.2 installed in a bunch of places and am wondering if
it's worth it to upgrade.

Thanks,
Joe

3 Answers

vanekl

Joe Van Dyk

On 12/14/05, Lou Vanek <vanek@acd.net> wrote:
> Short answer:
> I don't think there have been any major changes, but many, many small changes,
> most notably to security.
>
> right now 1.8.4 feels as stable as 1.8.3, so if security is a main concern for you
> and you are still running 1.8.2 then switching right now to "stable_snapshot"
> at http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/200... will probably work for you. But
> it requires compiling.
>
> On the other hand, if you can wait till Christmas the official stable version
> will be available, probably with a few precompiled binaries.
>
> Changelog can be found here,
> http://www.ruby-lang.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/ruby/ChangeLog?rev=1.2673.2.1437;content-type=te...

I don't really care too much about security, mainly bugs and speed.

> Joe Van Dyk wrote:
>
> > Is there any place that summarizes the major differences between Ruby
> > 1.8.2 and Ruby 1.8.4?
> >
> > I've got Ruby 1.8.2 installed in a bunch of places and am wondering if
> > it's worth it to upgrade.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Joe

Nakada, Nobuyoshi

At Thu, 15 Dec 2005 00:53:24 +0900,
Joe Van Dyk wrote in [ruby-talk:170652]:
> Is there any place that summarizes the major differences between Ruby
> 1.8.2 and Ruby 1.8.4?

We're working on it at ruby-dev ML, and
http://www.ruby-lang.org/ja/man/?cmd=view;name=ruby+1.8...

--