Puby 1.0 Release!

hampton c

12/14/2005 12:23:00 AM

With all of the buzz around "LAMP" platforms, I feel that its time that
Ruby got on board. As many people know, LAMP stands for Linux Apache
MySQL and Perl/Python/PHP. Well, the final P representing development
languages leaves Ruby out of the game. Instead of creating LAMR, which
when spelled says LAMeR, I've decided to launch Puby!

Features

* Exactly like Ruby
* Starts with a "P"

Now, Puby can become one of the premier programming languages of LAMP:
Linux Apache MySQL Perl/Python/PHP/Puby.

Check out http://www.pub... and http://www.pub... for
more info!

22 Answers

james_b

Hampton wrote:

> With all of the buzz around "LAMP" platforms, I feel that its time that
> Ruby got on board. As many people know, LAMP stands for Linux Apache
> MySQL and Perl/Python/PHP. Well, the final P representing development
> languages leaves Ruby out of the game. Instead of creating LAMR, which
> when spelled says LAMeR, I've decided to launch Puby!
>
> Features
>
> * Exactly like Ruby
> * Starts with a "P"
>
> Now, Puby can become one of the premier programming languages of LAMP:
> Linux Apache MySQL Perl/Python/PHP/Puby.
>
> Check out http://www.pub... and http://www.pub... for
> more info!

Is April early, or late?

James

Justin Collins

That just sounds wrong...so very wrong....

-Justin

Hampton wrote:
> With all of the buzz around "LAMP" platforms, I feel that its time that
> Ruby got on board. As many people know, LAMP stands for Linux Apache
> MySQL and Perl/Python/PHP. Well, the final P representing development
> languages leaves Ruby out of the game. Instead of creating LAMR, which
> when spelled says LAMeR, I've decided to launch Puby!
>
> Features
>
> * Exactly like Ruby
> * Starts with a "P"
>
> Now, Puby can become one of the premier programming languages of LAMP:
> Linux Apache MySQL Perl/Python/PHP/Puby.
>
> Check out http://www.pub... and http://www.pub... for
> more info!

RCS

Hampton wrote:

> * Exactly like Ruby
> * Starts with a "P"
>
> Now, Puby can become one of the premier programming languages of LAMP:
> Linux Apache MySQL Perl/Python/PHP/Puby.
>
> Check out http://www.pub... and http://www.pub... for
> more info!

Sorry, but Puby gives me associations to Pubic!

hampton c

April is *always* in style.

Sam Dela Cruz

I would change "LAMP" to "LAMPaRa", which is the same meaning as LAMP in
English.

But I think "Puby" is just wrong.

> With all of the buzz around "LAMP" platforms, I feel that its time that
> Ruby got on board. As many people know, LAMP stands for Linux Apache
> MySQL and Perl/Python/PHP. Well, the final P representing development
> languages leaves Ruby out of the game. Instead of creating LAMR, which
> when spelled says LAMeR, I've decided to launch Puby!
>
> Features
>
> * Exactly like Ruby
> * Starts with a "P"
>
> Now, Puby can become one of the premier programming languages of LAMP:
> Linux Apache MySQL Perl/Python/PHP/Puby.
>
> Check out http://www.pub... and http://www.pub... for
> more info!

ES

On 2005.12.14 09:27, "Hampton" <hcatlin@gmail.com> wrote:

> With all of the buzz around "LAMP" platforms, I feel that its time that
> Ruby got on board. As many people know, LAMP stands for Linux Apache
> MySQL and Perl/Python/PHP. Well, the final P representing development
> languages leaves Ruby out of the game. Instead of creating LAMR, which
> when spelled says LAMeR, I've decided to launch Puby!
>
> Features
>
> * Exactly like Ruby
> * Starts with a "P"
>
> Now, Puby can become one of the premier programming languages of LAMP:
> Linux Apache MySQL Perl/Python/PHP/Puby.
>
> Check out http://www.pub... and http://www.pub... for
> more info!

Er, could we instead just try to make FLPR[1] a more popular acronym? :)

[1] FreeBSD, lightTPD, PostgreSQL, Ruby

Jeff Wood

arxs would work for me ... ( pronounced arcs )

Apache, Ruby & x meaning uniX decendant, DBMS.match( /SQL$/ )

OSs could be Unix, Linux, os X or any other variant of BSD ....
DBMS could be PostgreSQL or MySQL ...

whatdya think?

;)

--
"Remember. Understand. Believe. Yield! -> http://ruby-lang...

Jeff Wood

Logan Capaldo

On Dec 13, 2005, at 9:08 PM, Jeff Wood wrote:

> arxs would work for me ... ( pronounced arcs )
>

> Apache, Ruby & x meaning uniX decendant, DBMS.match( /SQL$/ )
>
> OSs could be Unix, Linux, os X or any other variant of BSD ....
> DBMS could be PostgreSQL or MySQL ...
>
> whatdya think?
>
> ;)
>
> On 12/13/05, Eero Saynatkari <ruby-ml@magical-cat.org> wrote:
>>
>> On 2005.12.14 09:27, "Hampton" <hcatlin@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>

>>> With all of the buzz around "LAMP" platforms, I feel that its
>>> time that
>>> Ruby got on board. As many people know, LAMP stands for Linux Apache
>>> MySQL and Perl/Python/PHP. Well, the final P representing
>>> development
>>> languages leaves Ruby out of the game. Instead of creating LAMR,
>>> which
>>> when spelled says LAMeR, I've decided to launch Puby!
>>>
>>> Features
>>>
>>> * Exactly like Ruby
>>> * Starts with a "P"
>>>
>>> Now, Puby can become one of the premier programming languages of
>>> LAMP:
>>> Linux Apache MySQL Perl/Python/PHP/Puby.
>>>
>>> Check out http://www.pub... and http://www.pub... for
>>> more info!
>>
>> Er, could we instead just try to make FLPR[1] a more popular
>> acronym? :)

>> [1] FreeBSD, lightTPD, PostgreSQL, Ruby
>>

> --
> "Remember. Understand. Believe. Yield! -> http://ruby-lang...
>
> Jeff Wood

Someone has previously mentioned on this list that LAMP REALLY stands
for
Linux Apache Middleware PostgreSQL

wherein Middleware is assumed to be ruby unless otherwise indicated

Jeff Wood

Logan Capaldo wrote:

> On Dec 13, 2005, at 9:08 PM, Jeff Wood wrote:
>
>> arxs would work for me ... ( pronounced arcs )
>>

>> Apache, Ruby & x meaning uniX decendant, DBMS.match( /SQL$/ )
>>
>> OSs could be Unix, Linux, os X or any other variant of BSD ....
>> DBMS could be PostgreSQL or MySQL ...
>>
>> whatdya think?
>>
>> ;)

>>> Er, could we instead just try to make FLPR[1] a more popular
>>> acronym? :)

>>> [1] FreeBSD, lightTPD, PostgreSQL, Ruby
>>>

>> --
>> "Remember. Understand. Believe. Yield! -> http://ruby-lang...
>>
>> Jeff Wood
>

> Someone has previously mentioned on this list that LAMP REALLY stands
> for
> Linux Apache Middleware PostgreSQL
>
> wherein Middleware is assumed to be ruby unless otherwise indicated

heh, there ya go ... <flamebait> I just wish we could get the linux out
of there ... I'd much prefer *any* bsd variant.</flamebait>

j.

Bill Guindon

On 12/13/05, Hampton <hcatlin@gmail.com> wrote:

> Check out http://www.pub... and http://www.pub... for
> more info!

All I can say is that I'm _very_ happy that those domains aren't live.

--
Bill Guindon (aka aGorilla)