Java is so 90s - thought you'd all like this

Stephen Kellett

12/13/2005 11:27:00 PM

Doesn't mention Ruby directly but does talk about whats hip (LAMP which
I guess means we can include Ruby).

http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/dec2005/tc20051....
htm

Stephen
--
Stephen Kellett
Object Media Limited http://www.objmedia.demon.co.uk/sof...

Rich Morin

I sent them the following comment:

>The "layered look" isn't restricted to clothing. The lower levels
>of most modern systems are written C/C++ (with occasional assembly
>language). Indeed, Java itself is written in C, AFAIK. Above this
>level, chaos rules.
>
>Interactive applications may be written in C/C++, Java, Objective-C,
>scripting languages (e.g., Perl, Python, Ruby), or combinations of
>these languages. .NET (and Mono) offer one approach to combining
>languages, but web services (e.g., REST, SOAP) and cross-language
>interfaces (e.g., JRuby, RubyCocoa) offer lighter-weight approaches.
>
>Protege (protege.stanford.edu) is an interesting case in point. It
>is a portable Knowledge Base (e.g., ontology editing) framework,
>written in Java. However, it may be accessed via web services and
>Java's BSF (Bean Scripting Framework). So, scripts can be used to
>extend Protege, use it as a server, etc.

-r
--
email: rdm@cfcl.com; phone: +1 650-873-7841
http://ww... - Canta Forda Computer Laboratory

james_b

Stephen Kellett wrote:
> Doesn't mention Ruby directly but does talk about whats hip (LAMP which
> I guess means we can include Ruby).

Nope. At least not when I see the acronym used.

Rarely have I seen a LAMP discussion that bothers to explain that one
might also consider coding with a non-P* language, or using Postgres, or
running under Lighttp, for example.

Which is a shame; technology selection by acronym is probably not an
enlightened decision procedure ('LAMP Considered Harmful').

But, as AJAX has shown, many people prefer to gulp down a buzzword than
digest a full plate of technical details.

> http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/dec2005/tc20051....
> htm

It made me think of a phrase from earlier times:

"Java is the COBOL of the '90s"

James

--

http://www.ru... - Ruby Help & Documentation
http://www.artima.c... - Ruby Code & Style: Writers wanted

Shot - Piotr Szotkowski

Hello.

James Britt:

> Rarely have I seen a LAMP discussion that bothers to explain that one
> might also consider coding with a non-P* language, or using Postgres,
> or running under Lighttp, for example.

Or even change all four components, ending up with FLPR
(FreeBSD, lighttpd, PostgreSQL, Rails): http:/... :o)

Cheers,
-- Shot
--
A distributed system is one in which I cannot get something done because
a machine I've never heard of is down. -- Leslie Lamport

Stephen Kellett

In message <20051214115617.GF8831@chastell.shot.pl>, Shot - Piotr
Szotkowski <shot@shot.pl> writes
>Or even change all four components, ending up with FLPR
>(FreeBSD, lighttpd, PostgreSQL, Rails): http:/... :o)

Some of you won't like this... What about WISR?

Windows, IIS, SQL Server, Ruby.

<Ducks flying debris> Not exactly open source though is it?

Mind you the acronym is nice. WISeR.

Stephen
--
Stephen Kellett
Object Media Limited http://www.objmedia.demon.co.uk/sof...

Martin DeMello

James Britt <james_b@neurogami.com> wrote:

> Rarely have I seen a LAMP discussion that bothers to explain that one
> might also consider coding with a non-P* language, or using Postgres, or
> running under Lighttp, for example.

We oughta popularise the R* (read: R-star) stack - Ruby and whatever
else you like.

martin

Hello

James Britt wrote:
> Stephen Kellett wrote:
>> Doesn't mention Ruby directly but does talk about whats hip (LAMP which
>> I guess means we can include Ruby).

Ezra Zygmuntowicz

On Dec 14, 2005, at 4:37 AM, Stephen Kellett wrote:

> In message <20051214115617.GF8831@chastell.shot.pl>, Shot - Piotr
> Szotkowski <shot@shot.pl> writes
>> Or even change all four components, ending up with FLPR
>> (FreeBSD, lighttpd, PostgreSQL, Rails): http:/... :o)
>
> Some of you won't like this... What about WISR?
>
> Windows, IIS, SQL Server, Ruby.
>
> <Ducks flying debris> Not exactly open source though is it?
>
> Mind you the acronym is nice. WISeR.
>
> Stephen
> --
>
> Stephen Kellett
> Object Media Limited http://www.objmedia.demon.co.uk/sof...
> Computer Consultancy, Software Development
> Windows C++, Java, Assembler, Performance Analysis, Troubleshooting

How about LAZR, Linux, Apache, Zsh, Ruby

Cheers-
-Ezra Zygmuntowicz
Yakima Herald-Republic
WebMaster
http://yakima...
509-577-7732
ezra@yakima-herald.com

Jeff Wood

LADR ? Linux, Apache, Dynamic languages, Relational datastores ???

;)

j.

--
"Remember. Understand. Believe. Yield! -> http://ruby-lang...

Jeff Wood

mrkode@gmail.com

LARD. gotta make it pronouncable.

On 12/14/05, Jeff Wood <jeff.darklight@gmail.com> wrote:

> LADR ? Linux, Apache, Dynamic languages, Relational datastores ???
>
> ;)
>
> j.
>

> On 12/14/05, Ezra Zygmuntowicz <ezra@yakimaherald.com> wrote:
> >

> > On Dec 14, 2005, at 4:37 AM, Stephen Kellett wrote:
> >
> > > In message <20051214115617.GF8831@chastell.shot.pl>, Shot - Piotr
> > > Szotkowski <shot@shot.pl> writes
> > >
> > > Some of you won't like this... What about WISR?
> > >
> > > Windows, IIS, SQL Server, Ruby.
> > >
> > > <Ducks flying debris> Not exactly open source though is it?
> > >
> > > Mind you the acronym is nice. WISeR.
> > >
> > > Stephen
> > > --
> > >
> > > Stephen Kellett
> > > Object Media Limited http://www.objmedia.demon.co.uk/sof...
> > > Computer Consultancy, Software Development
> > > Windows C++, Java, Assembler, Performance Analysis, Troubleshooting
> >

> > How about LAZR, Linux, Apache, Zsh, Ruby
> >
> > Cheers-
> > -Ezra Zygmuntowicz
> > Yakima Herald-Republic
> > WebMaster
> > http://yakima...
> > 509-577-7732
> > ezra@yakima-herald.com
> >

> --
> "Remember. Understand. Believe. Yield! -> http://ruby-lang...
>
> Jeff Wood

Martin DeMello

JB Eriksson <mrkode@gmail.com> wrote:

> LARD. gotta make it pronouncable.
>
> On 12/14/05, Jeff Wood <jeff.darklight@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > LADR ? Linux, Apache, Dynamic languages, Relational datastores ???

And they said J2EE was too fat :)

martin