Ruby in a Nutshell - still worthwhile?

Jeff

12/13/2005 4:00:00 AM

I'm looking for a quick reference guide to Ruby. I have the PickAxe
already, which is great for learning Ruby, but now I'm looking for
something more reference-like and smaller :-)

The O'Reilly "in a nutshell" book is from 2001 and covers only up to
1.6. I imagine they're waiting for 2.0 before the do another book.

Is the book still worth getting? Is there a different
quick-reference/quick-explanation guide that people recommend?

Thanks
Jeff

Gene Tani

Jeff Cohen wrote:
> I'm looking for a quick reference guide to Ruby. I have the PickAxe
> already, which is great for learning Ruby, but now I'm looking for
> something more reference-like and smaller :-)
>
> The O'Reilly "in a nutshell" book is from 2001 and covers only up to
> 1.6. I imagine they're waiting for 2.0 before the do another book.
>
> Is the book still worth getting? Is there a different
> quick-reference/quick-explanation guide that people recommend?
>
> Thanks
> Jeff

I use it a lot, cause i can't remember too much ruby if i'm switching
between python and perl

http://www.zenspider.com/Languages/Ruby/Qui...
http://www.testingeducation.org/conference/wtst3_petti...
http://www.ruby-doc.org/doxygen/1.8.1/functions...
http://www.petefreitag.com/it...

http://ruby-pdf.rubyforge.org/pdf-writer/demos/Ruby-Language-Qu...

Gene Tani

Jeff Cohen wrote:
> I'm looking for a quick reference guide to Ruby. I have the PickAxe
> already, which is great for learning Ruby, but now I'm looking for
> something more reference-like and smaller :-)
>
> The O'Reilly "in a nutshell" book is from 2001 and covers only up to
> 1.6. I imagine they're waiting for 2.0 before the do another book.
>
> Is the book still worth getting? Is there a different
> quick-reference/quick-explanation guide that people recommend?
>
> Thanks
> Jeff

I use it a lot, cause i can't remember too much ruby if i'm switching
between python and perl

http://www.zenspider.com/Languages/Ruby/Qui...
http://www.testingeducation.org/conference/wtst3_petti...
http://www.ruby-doc.org/doxygen/1.8.1/functions...
http://www.petefreitag.com/it...

http://ruby-pdf.rubyforge.org/pdf-writer/demos/Ruby-Language-Qu...

Gene Tani

Gene Tani

Patrick Hurley

On 12/12/05, Jeff Cohen <cohen.jeff@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm looking for a quick reference guide to Ruby. I have the PickAxe
> already, which is great for learning Ruby, but now I'm looking for
> something more reference-like and smaller :-)

Truthfully, I have a copy, but I do not use it. For quick reference
check out ri, otherwise use the Pickaxe. Of course if matz gets
royalties (I would assume he does, probably enough to buy snacks),
then by all means pick up a copy :-)