How to time the duration of a script.

Oscar Gonzalez

12/12/2005 10:53:00 PM

If I wanted to find something like the "time" feature on shell...

where you can do:

time ls

and it will tell you how long it took to execute...

How would I do this in Ruby or what is the packaged that can do this for
me? I want it to kick off as soon as the script gets called and just
print the time taken to execute at the end of the script.

Eero Saynatkari

Oscar Gonzalez wrote:
> If I wanted to find something like the "time" feature on shell...
>
> where you can do:
>
> time ls
>
> and it will tell you how long it took to execute...
>
> How would I do this in Ruby or what is the packaged that can do this for
> me? I want it to kick off as soon as the script gets called and just
> print the time taken to execute at the end of the script.

Well, you can actually use 'time my.rb' :)

Within ruby, you can use Benchmark (in stdlib):

require 'benchmark'

Benchmark.bm {|bench|
bench.report { do_something_here }
}

Another popular idiom seems to be the classic:

start = Time.now

# Do something

duration = Time.now - start

Ara.T.Howard