Hibernate on Ruby

List Recv

12/12/2005 9:45:00 PM

Any ideas on using Hibernate OR/M from within Ruby?

9 Answers

Trans

Why, when you have Og, ActiveRecord and a few other interesting
choices?

T.

List Recv

ActiveRecord is great for small-to-medium things, but does quickly show
it's limits on large things. NOTE: Please, do not turn this thread
into a flame war. See Martin Fowler's discussion of ActiveRecord
versus DataMapper. Rails's ActiveRecord is based on Fowler's
ActiveRecord pattern, wheras Hibernate is a DataMapper, which Fowler
himself favors for complicated mappings.

See DHH's post:
"No, you don't get the full offer of opportunities that straight OO
with a data mapper holds. I'd like to think, though, that Active Record
gives you 80% of the features for 20% of the effort."
http://www.loudthinking.com/arc/0...

Example for me:
Let's say I have a class hierarchy, in which a particular field is
stored direclty in the db for one class, and calculated using a simple
SQL formula for other other classes. How can I use the DB to query the
tree for all objects where field == aVal.

Answer: In ActiveRecord - you can't (w/o major hacking). You need to
instantiate each one from the db, and then use Ruby to check each one.

Eero Saynatkari

List Recv wrote:
> ActiveRecord is great for small-to-medium things, but does quickly show
> it's limits on large things. NOTE: Please, do not turn this thread
> into a flame war. See Martin Fowler's discussion of ActiveRecord
> versus DataMapper. Rails's ActiveRecord is based on Fowler's
> ActiveRecord pattern, wheras Hibernate is a DataMapper, which Fowler
> himself favors for complicated mappings.
>
> See DHH's post:
> "No, you don't get the full offer of opportunities that straight OO
> with a data mapper holds. I'd like to think, though, that Active Record
> gives you 80% of the features for 20% of the effort."
> http://www.loudthinking.com/arc/0...
>
> Example for me:
> Let's say I have a class hierarchy, in which a particular field is
> stored direclty in the db for one class, and calculated using a simple
> SQL formula for other other classes. How can I use the DB to query the
> tree for all objects where field == aVal.
>
> Answer: In ActiveRecord - you can't (w/o major hacking). You need to
> instantiate each one from the db, and then use Ruby to check each one.

Google up Og and Kansas and see if either suits you better.
Both take a modeling approach perpendicular to AR. There
are others also, I am sure.

Or, of course, you could restructure your data :)

Zed A. Shaw

On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 07:55:02 +0900
Eero Saynatkari <ruby-forum-reg@mailinator.com> wrote:

> List Recv wrote:
> > Example for me:
> > Let's say I have a class hierarchy, in which a particular field is
> > stored direclty in the db for one class, and calculated using a
> > simple SQL formula for other other classes. How can I use the DB
> > to query the tree for all objects where field == aVal.
> >
> > Answer: In ActiveRecord - you can't (w/o major hacking). You need
> > to instantiate each one from the db, and then use Ruby to check
> > each one.
>
> Google up Og and Kansas and see if either suits you better.
> Both take a modeling approach perpendicular to AR. There
> are others also, I am sure.
>
> Or, of course, you could restructure your data :)

No, that'd actually involve admitting he is wrong. The day a
programmer actually admits he's wrong is the day Satan ice skates
around Times Square in July eating Tasti-Delight while wearing long
underwear.

For another great example of "fighting to always be right" refer to any
thread about plural table names (either side).

Zed A. Shaw
http://www.ze...

Neil Stevens

Zed A. Shaw wrote:
> No, that'd actually involve admitting he is wrong. The day a
> programmer actually admits he's wrong is the day Satan ice skates
> around Times Square in July eating Tasti-Delight while wearing long
> underwear.

Yeah, that's the way, go off on a tangent and berate someone for asking
a simple question, without actually giving him a straight answer.

Now I remember why I unsubscribed from this group before...

--
Neil Stevens - neil@hakubi.us

'A republic, if you can keep it.' -- Benjamin Franklin

List Recv

Thanks for the support Neil.

List Recv

Thanks for the support Neil.

gabriele renzi

listrecv@gmail.com ha scritto:
> Any ideas on using Hibernate OR/M from within Ruby?

probably the only chance is using jruby, but are you sure you can't do
what you want with Og ?

Wilson Bilkovich

On 12/12/05, listrecv@gmail.com <listrecv@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the support Neil.

I won't claim to support this idea. Personally, I think it's like
having your whole BMW chromed. Heh.

However, you should be able to actually do it with something like:
http://rjni.ruby...
..or:
http://raa.ruby-lang.org/pr...

I'm not sure if there's a good way to gen the XDoclet tags in Ruby.
Presumably there's a fancy ERb trick you can use.