Re: lib for optional static typing

Eivind Eklund

12/12/2005 4:13:00 PM

On 12/5/05, robertj <robert_kuzelj@yahoo.com> wrote:
> is there any lib where i could emulate attributes on methods
> like there are some libs already now for python 2.4
>
> @params(String, String)
> @return(String)
> def concat(_key1, _key2):
> return _key1 + _key2
>
> that is something that allows for defining the parameters
> and the return type and the corresponding checks at runtime.
>
> i thought i have seen something like that for ruby sometime and
> somewhere but i can not find it anymore (or maybe i had simply
> visions)

I've got an implementation that works more or less like that available
at http://people.freebsd.org/~eivind/r...

It also allows more complicated declarations (respond_to checks,
conditional series of parameters, handling of repeats, etc, etc).

If you find ways to use this that turn out to actually be an advantage
in practice, I'd appreciate a mail describing your use. When I tried
to use it with the way I program, I found that it didn't catch errors
any earlier than I'd get them from MethodMissing anyway, and that it
got in the way of my refactoring. That doesn't mean it couldn't be
useful for somebody else, of course.

Eivind.