Re: [ANN} Komodo 3.5.1 -- a professional Ruby IDE

Eric Promislow

12/8/2005 7:21:00 PM

Just coming in to this thread to agree that the Komodo debugger is
relatively
slow. We originally wrote the debugger in pure Ruby, and found
debugging
large programs was very slow. We're shipping a version where a couple
of
the bottlenecks were rewritten in C, but that has revealed other
bottlenecks.

One thing I should point out is that the Komodo Ruby debugger works
with
any installed version > 1.8.0. We don't silo our own interpreter, so
whatever the
debugger says your code is doing, that's what it will most likely do
when
deployed. On the other hand, there is a fundamental speed-up I'd like
to do,
but it requires working with the API as of 1.8.3. At that point it
seems to make
sense to offer our own embedded interpreter optimized for faster
debugging,
but this falls in the thinking-out-loud category at this point.

- Eric

1 Answer

Curt Hibbs

On 12/8/05, Eric Promislow <eric.promislow@gmail.com> wrote:

> Just coming in to this thread to agree that the Komodo debugger is
> relatively
> slow. We originally wrote the debugger in pure Ruby, and found
> debugging
> large programs was very slow. We're shipping a version where a couple
> of
> the bottlenecks were rewritten in C, but that has revealed other
> bottlenecks.
>
> One thing I should point out is that the Komodo Ruby debugger works
> with
> any installed version > 1.8.0. We don't silo our own interpreter, so
> whatever the
> debugger says your code is doing, that's what it will most likely do
> when
> deployed. On the other hand, there is a fundamental speed-up I'd like
> to do,
> but it requires working with the API as of 1.8.3. At that point it
> seems to make
> sense to offer our own embedded interpreter optimized for faster
> debugging,
> but this falls in the thinking-out-loud category at this point.

Thanks for enlightening us, Eric.

Curt