Where is RUBYOPT set?

williamerubin

12/7/2005 3:39:00 PM

This is on Windows XP:

Checking the RUBYOPT environment variable at a command prompt reveals
that it is set to "rubygems".

However, looking at the list of environment variables in "My
Computer/Properties/Advanced/Environment Variables" does not show
RUBYOPT listed at all (in either the "user variables" section or the
"system variables" section.

Is there somewhere else that it would have been picked up from?

5 Answers

Jakub Hegenbart

williamerubin@dodgeit.com wrote:
> This is on Windows XP:
>
> Checking the RUBYOPT environment variable at a command prompt reveals
> that it is set to "rubygems".
>
> However, looking at the list of environment variables in "My
> Computer/Properties/Advanced/Environment Variables" does not show
> RUBYOPT listed at all (in either the "user variables" section or the
> "system variables" section.
>
> Is there somewhere else that it would have been picked up from?

I do have it in System variables on W2k.

Jakub

Curt Hibbs

It should be in system variables on XP as well. I just doubled checked my XP
system and found it there.

Curt

On 12/7/05, Jakub Hegenbart <kyosuke@seznam.cz> wrote:

> williamerubin@dodgeit.com wrote:
> > This is on Windows XP:
> >
> > Checking the RUBYOPT environment variable at a command prompt reveals
> > that it is set to "rubygems".
> >
> > However, looking at the list of environment variables in "My
> > Computer/Properties/Advanced/Environment Variables" does not show
> > RUBYOPT listed at all (in either the "user variables" section or the
> > "system variables" section.
> >
> > Is there somewhere else that it would have been picked up from?
> >
> I do have it in System variables on W2k.
>
> Jakub

Jeff Wood

Curt, if you would, for future releases also put it in User Variables ...
that helps the folks that are doing the install from a non-administrator
account.

j.

--
"Remember. Understand. Believe. Yield! -> http://ruby-lang...

Jeff Wood

Curt Hibbs

The same thing would then be true for putting ...\rub\bin on the user.
Perhaps irt should be the user path, yes? I'll add this as a todo item.

I suppose it should be an option to install for the current user or all
users, but I'm not sure if I'll that'll make it in the next release I'm
already overloaded with higher priority tasks and features, and I'd like it
to be released as soon as possible after Matz releases 1.8.4.

Curt

On 12/7/05, Jeff Wood <jeff.darklight@gmail.com> wrote:

> Curt, if you would, for future releases also put it in User Variables ...
> that helps the folks that are doing the install from a non-administrator
> account.
>
> j.
>

> On 12/7/05, Curt Hibbs <curt.hibbs@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > It should be in system variables on XP as well. I just doubled checked
> my
> > XP
> > system and found it there.
> >
> > Curt

> reveals

> > > I do have it in System variables on W2k.
> > >
> > > Jakub
> > >

> --
> "Remember. Understand. Believe. Yield! -> http://ruby-lang...
>
> Jeff Wood

Jeff Wood

yeah, the path modification would be nice too.

when you can get to it ... I've got a number of users that would be having
an easier time if those are/were in place.

Anyways, thanks...