Switch User Agent

Alex Amat

12/7/2005 1:59:00 PM

Hi all I'm writing an application in ruby and I need to change the
UAProof of an HTTP request that I'm sending out. (To pretend that my
browser is a mobile phone) does anyone know how to go about it.

Many thanks

Gene Tani

Alex Amat wrote:
> Hi all I'm writing an application in ruby and I need to change the
> UAProof of an HTTP request that I'm sending out. (To pretend that my
> browser is a mobile phone) does anyone know how to go about it.
>
> Many thanks

I haven't seent the term UAproof before, but the open-uri and Net::HTTP
ways of opening URLs are both dict-like as far as passing User-Agents
etc:

http://www.ruby-doc.org/stdlib/libdoc/open...

e.g.
Net::HTTP.start( 'www.digg.com', 80 ) do |http|
print( http.get( '/', "User-Agent" => "foobar" ).body ) ; end

setting referrer/referer (can't remember which is correct!) is similar

Gene Tani

Gene Tani wrote:
> Alex Amat wrote:
> > Hi all I'm writing an application in ruby and I need to change the
> > UAProof of an HTTP request that I'm sending out. (To pretend that my
> > browser is a mobile phone) does anyone know how to go about it.
> >
> > Many thanks
> >
> > --
>
> I haven't seent the term UAproof before, but the open-uri and Net::HTTP
> ways of opening URLs are both dict-like as far as passing User-Agents
> etc:
>
> http://www.ruby-doc.org/stdlib/libdoc/open...
>
> e.g.
> Net::HTTP.start( 'www.digg.com', 80 ) do |http|
> print( http.get( '/', "User-Agent" => "foobar" ).body ) ; end
>
> setting referrer/referer (can't remember which is correct!) is similar

whoops, forgot the great zenspider slides:
http://www.zenspider.com/dl/rubyconf2005/op...

Alex Amat

Sorry mate I meant User Agent (I'm a bit new to the world of ruby and
internet)
What I'm doing is a web site that changes normal PC websites into MCS
sites I've got three ifreams so that the rendered sites can be
previewed, all I need to do is change the user agent of the request
object so that my application delivers the content for different user
agents.

Thanks a lot !