where is the Content Assist of RDT?

Frank Potter

12/7/2005 11:35:00 AM

this url() said RDT *HAS* Content Assist. I use RDT 0.6.0, but I never found
the code completion thing in it.
please tell me, how to find out the Content Assist stuff in RDT? thanks.
7 Answers

Frank Potter

I forgot to say, the url is:
http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/library/os-ru...

On 12/7/05, Frank Potter <could.net@gmail.com> wrote:

> this url() said RDT *HAS* Content Assist. I use RDT 0.6.0, but I never
> found
> the code completion thing in it.
> please tell me, how to find out the Content Assist stuff in RDT? thanks.

Frank Potter

Ross Bamford

On Wed, 07 Dec 2005 11:35:25 -0000, Frank Potter <could.net@gmail.com>
wrote:

> this url() said RDT *HAS* Content Assist. I use RDT 0.6.0, but I never
> found
> the code completion thing in it.
> please tell me, how to find out the Content Assist stuff in RDT? thanks.

In my experience it's not as comprehensive as with e.g. Java, partly
because Ruby is very dynamic so the information simply isn't available
until runtime. I've found that there's not really much reason to have it
pop up automatically but on the whole I think it's a worthwhile trade for
the flexibility you get from Ruby ;)

It does do variables quite well I think - hit CTRL-SPACE to see what it
knows about. It only knows about variables in the current script (?). I
only switched to IDEs about a year ago, and when I started with Ruby I
found it hard without autocomplete, which frankly isn't a place I want to
be. Doesn't take long to get back to normal, though ;)

(Aside, I don't know if you can get docs working, my Ri is broken I think,
but to be honest I don't think you'll need to - if you're not sure of the
name of a method or whatever just guess - most times you'll be right, Ruby
is very nice in this respect :))

--
Ross Bamford - rosco@roscopeco.remove.co.uk
"\e[1;31mL"

Ryan Leavengood

You aren't posting twice to the list, you are just seeing Gmail put in
the same thread both your response from your "Sent Mail" and the
response as shown on the list. It is just one of those annoying
features of Gmail.

Ryan

On 12/7/05, Frank Potter <could.net@gmail.com> wrote:
> sorry for my duplicated posts.
> My ie seems crazy, it automatically post twice.

Frank Potter

Frank Potter

Yes, it's really annoying.
I tried to find out how to disable this but I didn't get any clues.