microsoft.public.dotnet.framework

.net html screenscraper tool?

GaryDean

10/19/2008 11:37:00 PM

Anyone know of html screen scrapper software that will work with .net
projects. We need to get data back from a gov site that only provides it on
a webpage.
Thanks,
Gary

2 Answers

Jay R. Wren

There is the Html Agility Pack which lets you use the html that you get back
from a web page with an XmlDocument like API.

http://www.codeplex.com/htmla...
--
Jay

"GaryDean" <gdeanblakely@newsgroup.nospam> wrote in message
> Anyone know of html screen scrapper software that will work with .net
> projects. We need to get data back from a gov site that only provides it
> on a webpage.
> Thanks,
> Gary

Nathan Sokalski

If by tool you mean class, then yes. Here is some very simple code that gets
the html returned from a webpage:

Dim source As New System.Net.WebClient()
Dim utf8 As New System.Text.UTF8Encoding()
Dim returnedsource As String =
utf8.GetString(source.DownloadData("http://www.nathansok...index....))

If desired you can obviously make this into a function or class if you
wanted a more "tool" like thing, but the code is extremely simple, so you
shouldn't have any problems. Good Luck!
--
Nathan Sokalski
njsokalski@hotmail.com