microsoft.public.dotnet.framework

Static linking in .net

Ashutosh

10/17/2008 1:22:00 PM

Though I haven't heard of it, but I still want to ask if there is any
way to statically link a assembly(dll only) in/to my exe file so that
the exe file doesn't have any dependency other than the framework's
assembly?
6 Answers

Jon Skeet

On Oct 17, 2:22 pm, Ashutosh <smbs-m...@nospam.nospam> wrote:
> Though I haven't heard of it, but I still want to ask if there is any
> way to statically link a assembly(dll only) in/to my exe file so that
> the exe file doesn't have any dependency other than the framework's
> assembly?

ILMerge may be what you're after.
http://research.microsoft.com/~mbarnett/IL...

Jon

Ashutosh

Thanks Jon!!
This looks great!!
I am curious if there is any such support built directly into VS 2005 or
2008?? Or if it's possible to do it when the exe is built?

--
Regards,
Ashutosh Bhawasinka

Jon Skeet

On Oct 17, 3:23 pm, Ashutosh <smbs-m...@nospam.nospam> wrote:
> Thanks Jon!!
> This looks great!!
> I am curious if there is any such support built directly into VS 2005 or
> 2008?? Or if it's possible to do it when the exe is built?

I'm afraid I couldn't say - I've never actually used it myself. You
could add it as a post build step, of course.

Jon

Cowboy

You can postbuild it. I have only done it in experiments. I find very little
need to ILMerge in the apps I do. :-)

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP, MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

Subscribe to my blog
http://feeds.feedburner.com/Greg...

or just read it:
http://feeds.feedburner.com/Gre...

| Think outside the box! |
"Jon Skeet [C# MVP]" <skeet@pobox.com> wrote in message
On Oct 17, 3:23 pm, Ashutosh <smbs-m...@nospam.nospam> wrote:
> Thanks Jon!!
> This looks great!!
> I am curious if there is any such support built directly into VS 2005 or
> 2008?? Or if it's possible to do it when the exe is built?

I'm afraid I couldn't say - I've never actually used it myself. You
could add it as a post build step, of course.

Jon

Ashutosh

Thanks for the info!!!

I asked this just out or curiosity. I don't have any plans to use them
as of now :)

Cowboy (Gregory A. Beamer) wrote:
> You can postbuild it. I have only done it in experiments. I find very
> little need to ILMerge in the apps I do. :-)

puzzlecracker

On Oct 17, 10:37 am, "Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)"
<NoSpamMgbwo...@comcast.netNoSpamM> wrote:
> You can postbuild it. I have only done it in experiments. I find very little
> need to ILMerge in the apps I do. :-)
>
> --
> Gregory A. Beamer
> MVP, MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA
>
> Subscribe to my bloghttp://feeds.feedburner.com/Greg...
>
> or just read it:http://feeds.feedburner.com/Gre...

> | Think outside the box! |
> "Jon Skeet [C# MVP]" <sk...@pobox.com> wrote in messagenews:742314b9-c7a8-4799-8415-ec7e0d3d603f@25g2000prz.googlegroups.com...
> On Oct 17, 3:23 pm, Ashutosh <smbs-m...@nospam.nospam> wrote:
>
> > Thanks Jon!!
> > This looks great!!
> > I am curious if there is any such support built directly into VS 2005 or
> > 2008?? Or if it's possible to do it when the exe is built?
>
> I'm afraid I couldn't say - I've never actually used it myself. You
> could add it as a post build step, of course.
>
> Jon

What's the point of statical linking , especially with all dll-hell
issues permeating C++ solved in DotNet?