microsoft.public.dotnet.framework

Installing .NET 3.5 and ReportViewer 2008

Bob

10/8/2008 9:51:00 AM

I have developed an app using VS2008 and I am trying to deploy in-house to
WinXP SP2 clients. For the install 250 mb downloads from client WS's is just
not on, and without that option none of other the Pre-Requisite install
deployment options in Vs2008 seem to work, though there are various
conflicting accounts on the web as to how to make them work.

Anyway we install the pre-requisites by hand as follows:-

Windows Installer 3.1
DotNetFx35Client.exe
ReportViewer.exe (2008 re-distributable).

This works on machines that have had .NET 2.0 installed, but on those that
haven't Report Viewer fails to install with the message that it requires
Microsoft .NET Framework 2 Installed (KB952241 is cited but doesn't appear
relevant). Note that we have already installed .NET 3.5.

If we try to install .NET 2.0 on the offending WS's we get a message that it
must have .NET 3.5 installed first.

This business of .NET 3.5 distribution is fast becoming a pain with MS
assuming that all thier users have a 25 gbps connection to the internet. They
don't.

What's the solution please?

--
Bob