microsoft.public.dotnet.framework

CTYPE / WebControl / TextBox - ReadOnly Property?

Rob

9/29/2008 10:43:00 AM

Dear all,

I'm having to pass into a method a WebControl byref.

Once passed I have to determine it's type, either;

System.Web.UI.WebControls.TextBox
or
System.Web.UI.WebControls.DropDownList

If the former, I then need to query the ReadOnly property for it, and
this is where I am stuck...

If I create a new TextBox, I can set the ReadOnly property to True|
False etc. However, when I pass a WebControl and then CTYPE it to a
TextBox, I am unable to access this property, thus I cannot query its
value.

Code:

Private Sub SetCssClassForField(ByRef webControl As
System.Web.UI.WebControls.WebControl)

Select Case webControl.GetType.ToString

Case "System.Web.UI.WebControls.TextBox"

webControl = CType(webControl,
System.Web.UI.WebControls.TextBox)

Select Case webControl.Attributes.Item("ReadOnly")

Case True

webControl.CssClass = "rotb"

Case False

webControl.CssClass = "tb"

End Select

Case "System.Web.UI.WebControls.DropDownList"

webControl = CType(webControl, DropDownList)

Select Case webControl.Enabled

Case True

webControl.CssClass = "ddl"

Case False

webControl.CssClass = "roddl"

End Select

End Select

End Sub

I had hoped I might be able to access it as an "attribute" (reference
line 5 above) - but that doesn't work either...

So, can anyone suggest to me how I might go about doing this? I am
basically trying to specify which cssClass to use depending on whether
the control has been set as ReadOnly or not.

I'm also going to have a problem with the DropDownList as that doesn't
natively have a ReadOnly property at all, presumably for that one I
use "Enabled" ?

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Rob Meade