Wayne Smith

9/10/2008 10:10:00 PM

Applies to: Windows 2003 Server, Visual Studio 2008 Professional, ASP.NET 2.0/3.5, IIS

Hi everyone,
I'm currently midway through building an ASP.NET website using Visual Studio 2008 Professional with ASP.NET 2.0/3.5 installed and I've since been reading some articles and How-To's on the www.asp.net website and I found one which I would really like to use (http://www.asp.net/learn/ajax-videos/vide...) but it requires ASP.NET AJAX.

As I have little knowledge of AJAX I decided to do some reading and found the correct files to download and install, which I have now done but when I open up my site in Visual Studio all I see additionaly in the Toolbox is a heading for 'AJAX Extensions' which include the following six items: Pointer, ScriptManager, ScriptManagerProxy, Timer, UpdatePanel and UpdateProgress, but according to the How-To video in the link above, I should see an additional heading under AJAX Extensions called AJAX Control Toolkit but that isn't listed.

I found the toolkit on the www.asp.net website and I have tried endlessly to install and configure this component but still it doesn't show in Visual Studio and after three days of trying everything I can think of and searching from website to website for a solution to this problem, I'm still no further ahead and I was wondering if anyone out there may be able to help or point me in the right direction.

I'm certainly not an expert on this stuff but neither am I an amature but I'm scratching my head right now wondering what I may be doing wrong. Another point that is worth mentioning is when I open up Visual Studio, instead of opening the site I'm currently working on, if I click File > New Project, I should be able to create a new ASP.NET AJAX Website but there's nothing in the list with that option, the only AJAX components I see are: ASP.NET AJAX Server Control and ASP.NET AJAX Server Control Extensions but neither of those seem to do the trick.

Can anyone offer a glimmer of hope please, a suggesion or how-to article that may help me resolve this problem, I think my hair is starting to fall out.

Many thanks in advance
Wayne
1 Answer

Brian Gideon

On Sep 10, 5:10 pm, "Wayne Smith" <waynesmith1971(NoSpam)@hotmail.com>
wrote:
> Applies to: Windows 2003 Server, Visual Studio 2008 Professional, ASP.NET 2.0/3.5, IIS
>
> Hi everyone,
> I'm currently midway through building an ASP.NET website using Visual Studio 2008 Professional with ASP.NET 2.0/3.5 installed and I've since been reading some articles and How-To's on thewww.asp.netwebsite and I found one which I would really like to use (http://www.asp.net/learn/ajax-videos/vide...) but it requires ASP.NET AJAX.
>
> As I have little knowledge of AJAX I decided to do some reading and found the correct files to download and install, which I have now done but when I open up my site in Visual Studio all I see additionaly in the Toolbox is a heading for 'AJAX Extensions' which include the following six items: Pointer, ScriptManager, ScriptManagerProxy, Timer, UpdatePanel and UpdateProgress, but according to the How-To video in the link above, I should see an additional heading under AJAX Extensions called AJAX Control Toolkit but that isn't listed.
>
> I found the toolkit on thewww.asp.netwebsite and I have tried endlessly to install and configure this component but still it doesn't show in Visual Studio and after three days of trying everything I can think of and searching from website to website for a solution to this problem, I'm still no further ahead and I was wondering if anyone out there may be able to help or point me in the right direction.
>
> I'm certainly not an expert on this stuff but neither am I an amature but I'm scratching my head right now wondering what I may be doing wrong. Another point that is worth mentioning is when I open up Visual Studio, instead of opening the site I'm currently working on, if I click File > New Project, I should be able to create a new ASP.NET AJAX Website but there's nothing in the list with that option, the only AJAX components I see are: ASP.NET AJAX Server Control and ASP.NET AJAX Server Control Extensions but neither of those seem to do the trick.
>
> Can anyone offer a glimmer of hope please, a suggesion or how-to article that may help me resolve this problem, I think my hair is starting to fall out.
>
> Many thanks in advance
> Wayne

Have you tried adding the AJAX toolkit library to the Visual Studio
toolbox? If I remember correctly that is a procedure that is done
manually.