vkhaitan@gmail.com

9/5/2008 5:46:00 PM

Most of the people would have struggled with readymade Layout managers
within dotnet platform, e.g. Anchors, docks etc. Any Complex or
professional layouts can't be done using these basic techniques. Now a
professional Layout manager is out for Winforms, namely Smartlayouts.

It is availbale at http://www.smart-compo...

The difference between this layout manager and similar solution is
that none of them are natural and powerful both. You flow of winforms
designing need not be changed. None of the similar solution can
provide you the ease of this.
3 Answers

Florian Haag

vkhaitan@gmail.com wrote:

> Most of the people would have struggled with readymade Layout managers
> within dotnet platform, e.g. Anchors, docks etc. Any Complex or
> professional layouts can't be done using these basic techniques. Now a
> professional Layout manager is out for Winforms, namely Smartlayouts.

Hi,
what's wrong with SWF.GridLayoutPanel? To my experience, it allows for
most complex layouts, even more so as the advice from the documentation
to not nest several grid layout panels seems over-cautious to me.
Nesting two or three of them does not seem to have any serious impacts
on performance.

Hope that helps,
Florian Haag

Vinay Khaitan

> Hi,
> what's wrong with SWF.GridLayoutPanel? To my experience, it allows for
> most complex layouts, even more so as the advice from the documentation
> to not nest several grid layout panels seems over-cautious to me.
> Nesting two or three of them does not seem to have any serious impacts
> on performance.

That's the only problem, it is not there for Windows Forms. Windows Form is
still the dominating Desktop UI solution for .NET.

Florian Haag

Vinay Khaitan wrote:

> > Hi,
> > what's wrong with SWF.GridLayoutPanel? To my experience, it allows
> > for most complex layouts, even more so as the advice from the
> > documentation to not nest several grid layout panels seems
> > over-cautious to me. Nesting two or three of them does not seem to
> > have any serious impacts on performance.
>
> That's the only problem, it is not there for Windows Forms. Windows
> Form is still the dominating Desktop UI solution for .NET.

What do you mean by "it is not there"?
System.Windows.Forms.GridLayoutPanel is a Windows Forms component which
is very well there in any standard Windows Forms installation since
..Net 2.0.

Regards,
Florian Haag