microsoft.public.dotnet.framework

Do I have .Net Framework installed?

HyperAnalyst

9/5/2008 3:16:00 AM

Do I have .Net Framework installed?

If I don't have, then why do I see a .NET Framework section in "Security
Settings", in my IE 7 ("Loose XAML", and "XPS Documents", for example)...
If I have it, then will Windows Update it (at all [either patch, or
uninstall, and install a higher version])?

I have XP Home Edition, with Office XP with FrontPage, Developer Edition
(and IE 7).
I don't remember seeing it in Security Settings until after upgrading to IE 7.

Thanks in advance...especially because of the upcoming Update patch(es).
--
HyperAnalyst
6 Answers

HyperAnalyst

And, I don't have a .NET Framework entry in Control Panel, or it's Add/Remove
programs
--
HyperAnalyst

HyperAnalyst

By "update it", I mean just "Critical Updates" in Windows Update.
--
HyperAnalyst

Michael D. Ober

"HyperAnalyst" <HyperAnalyst@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> And, I don't have a .NET Framework entry in Control Panel, or it's
> Add/Remove
> programs
> --
> HyperAnalyst

In that case, you don't have the framework 2.0 or later installed. I don't
remember if XP installs 1.1 by default as part of the OS (which means it
wouldn't be in the Add/Remove programs). In Vista, Framework 3.0 is an
optional Windows feature.

Mike.

Morten Wennevik [C# MVP]

"HyperAnalyst" wrote:

> Do I have .Net Framework installed?
>
> If I don't have, then why do I see a .NET Framework section in "Security
> Settings", in my IE 7 ("Loose XAML", and "XPS Documents", for example)...
> If I have it, then will Windows Update it (at all [either patch, or
> uninstall, and install a higher version])?
>
> I have XP Home Edition, with Office XP with FrontPage, Developer Edition
> (and IE 7).
> I don't remember seeing it in Security Settings until after upgrading to IE 7.
>
> Thanks in advance...especially because of the upcoming Update patch(es).
> --
> HyperAnalyst

Hi,

You probably don't have .Net installed as all version should be visible in
Add/Remove Programs. You can also check C:\Windows\Microsoft.Net. If there
is no Microsoft.Net folder, you don't have .Net. If you have .Net installed
there should be folders inside for each version you have installed.
v1.0.3705, v1.1.4322, v2.0.50727, v3.0, v3.5.

If you have one or more versions installed. Windows update will update .Net
with security patches etc, but not add newer versions. You can still add
..Net versions manually through optional updates or run separate .Net
redistributables.

--
Happy Coding!
Morten Wennevik [C# MVP]

RobinS

"Michael D. Ober" <obermd.@.alum.mit.edu.nospam.> wrote in message
> "HyperAnalyst" <HyperAnalyst@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> And, I don't have a .NET Framework entry in Control Panel, or it's
>> Add/Remove
>> programs
>> --
>> HyperAnalyst
>>

> In that case, you don't have the framework 2.0 or later installed. I
> don't remember if XP installs 1.1 by default as part of the OS (which
> means it wouldn't be in the Add/Remove programs). In Vista, Framework 3.0
> is an optional Windows feature.
>
> Mike.

XP does not install any version by default.

In Vista, the .Net 3.0 Framework is installed with the operating system. It
is not optional.

If the user is running XP and installs .Net 2.0, it may or may not show up
in Add/Remove programs. The best way to check is to look under
C:\Windows\Microsoft.Net\Framework\ and check the versions there. And when I
say that, I mean look in the folders and make sure there are files. I have
seen a case where installing .Net 2.0 installed a handful of files in the
..Net 1.1 folder, but that's it, not the entire version.

RobinS.
GoldMail.com

RobinS

"Morten Wennevik [C# MVP]" <MortenWennevik@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "HyperAnalyst" wrote:
>
>> Do I have .Net Framework installed?
>>
>> If I don't have, then why do I see a .NET Framework section in "Security
>> Settings", in my IE 7 ("Loose XAML", and "XPS Documents", for example)...
>> If I have it, then will Windows Update it (at all [either patch, or
>> uninstall, and install a higher version])?
>>
>> I have XP Home Edition, with Office XP with FrontPage, Developer Edition
>> (and IE 7).
>> I don't remember seeing it in Security Settings until after upgrading to
>> IE 7.
>>
>> Thanks in advance...especially because of the upcoming Update patch(es).
>> --
>> HyperAnalyst
>

> Hi,
>
> You probably don't have .Net installed as all version should be visible in
> Add/Remove Programs. You can also check C:\Windows\Microsoft.Net. If
> there
> is no Microsoft.Net folder, you don't have .Net. If you have .Net
> installed
> there should be folders inside for each version you have installed.
> v1.0.3705, v1.1.4322, v2.0.50727, v3.0, v3.5.

This is not true. If you have Windows Vista, which includes .Net 3.0, you do
not see all installed versions of the .Net Framework in the
Programs/Features. I see 1.1 and 3.5, but neither 2.0 nor 3.0, even though
they are installed.

> If you have one or more versions installed. Windows update will update
> .Net
> with security patches etc, but not add newer versions. You can still add
> .Net versions manually through optional updates or run separate .Net
> redistributables.

RobinS.
GoldMaill.com