Refactoring Tycho API - Opinions wanted

Hal E. Fulton

7/18/2005 12:32:00 AM

I've been revisiting my favorite Ruby project in the past
few weeks.

Basically this is my approach:

1. Start with the API, test it heavily, worry about GUI later
2. Learn from my mistakes over the last two iterations :)
3. Use KirbyBase for storage (for now), as it is simple, Rubyish,
and runs everywhere

For those totally unfamiliar with Tycho, see the main page
(which does need to be updated):
http://tycho.rub...

See also my slides from RubyConf2004 (similarly out of date):
http://rubyhacker.com/tyc...

In short: Tycho is a tool for managing random information
in the form of "notes" arranged in a hierarchy of "topics."
For purposes of scripting both inside and outside the tool,
a rich Ruby API is planned.

Example uses of API:
- grab certain RSS feeds and store them
- scan the latest 'ri' data and store it
- write alternate interfaces (web, etc.)
- perform ad hoc analyses of all content

NOTE: My latest scribblings on the API are really
where I'd like feedback at the moment.

See: http://rubyhacker.com/tycho/ap...

Disclaimer: Yes, I use the exclamation point in a somewhat
unconventional way -- it indicates a recursive search
(arguably "more dangerous" than a simple search). You're
welcome to comment on that, but let's not start a whole
subthread to debate it.

Obviously you're free to say things like "I just don't
get it." I'm hoping however that you *will* "get it" and
will have some high-level comments about the API.

Thanks,
Hal

1 Answer

james_b

Hal Fulton wrote:
> I've been revisiting my favorite Ruby project in the past
> few weeks.
>
> Basically this is my approach:
>
> 1. Start with the API, test it heavily, worry about GUI later
> 2. Learn from my mistakes over the last two iterations :)
> 3. Use KirbyBase for storage (for now), as it is simple, Rubyish,
> and runs everywhere

> Obviously you're free to say things like "I just don't
> get it." I'm hoping however that you *will* "get it" and
> will have some high-level comments about the API.

My comment is not on the API (which I confess I have not the time right
now to look at) but at your approach. Is this meant primarily for people
end-users, or code end-users?

I ask because if people are the main target then perhaps the UI should
be driving the API, or at least the feature set (and through that the API).

James

--

http://www.ru... - The Ruby Documentation Site
http://www.r... - News, Articles, and Listings for Ruby & XML