Re: Ruby momentum?

greg.kujawa

7/15/2005 3:34:00 PM

Zach Dennis wrote:

> The only thing that will stop Ruby from growing is if people don't use
> ruby. If you use ruby, that is a +1 chance that Ruby will be used at a
> company; small, medium, large or huge later this year.

Very true. For larger companies there are typically some PHB's that
look at the current popular technology trends and hop on those
bandwagons. "Let's see...what's the other guy using? Well, if it's good
enough for them we can certainly use it!" Especially since the
technology spending is still probably overall nowhere near where it was
pre-Y2K. Leaders don't want to spend money on hardware, software, or
development/support manhours unless absolutely necessary and proven.
Hopefully stories like yours where Fortune 1000 companies start to
adopt Ruby will catch on and the domino effect will take place.

At my small company I have employed Ruby for everything under the sun
(from admin scripts to office automation to GUI apps) and will likely
replace more old ASP/IIS functions with Rails/Apache as the year winds
up. But at larger companies sometimes it's more difficult to throw the
switch. I recall back in 1997 working for a major cellular company as
IT Field Manager of one of their call centers. Then I started
installing Linux boxes running MySQL to test a replacement for some old
clunky help desk app they had already in place. That didn't go over too
well if memory serves correct :-) Even bringing up a Linux box on the
LAN set off red flags. "Linux, what the hell is that? We use Solaris on
Sun boxes after all."

2 Answers

khaines

On Friday 15 July 2005 9:35 am, gregarican wrote:

> Hopefully stories like yours where Fortune 1000 companies start to
> adopt Ruby will catch on and the domino effect will take place.

The lion's share of my income comes from work that I do for a Fortune 500
company, and it is all implemented in Ruby. Whether this is important or
not, though, I think is in the eye of the beholder. I do the work on a
contract basis, and provide services on a contract basis, and the companies
that I work for don't seem to care much how their projects are implemented,
so long as they come in on time and on budget, with the feature set
requested. And using Ruby lets me accomplish this in very competetive
timeframes.

Kirk Haines

Devin Mullins

Where I work (and I imagine most places), they don't bring developers on
a project until *after* the technology decisions have been made. (Well,
there was a market evaluation project about 3-4 years ago that made all
the decisions.) On my interview with the PM of a greenfield project, I
saw on her computer screen in the background completed order forms for
the J2EE application server, the database, and have a strong hunch that
we'll be tied to a particular framework, too. Given that ordering things
takes time, it makes sense to get this done before you have developers,
so that they're not twiddling their thumbs, but hey, we might've been
able to save them some time and money by suggesting a free platform
(Tomcat & Postgres or, gasp, RoR*).

What is it going to take for us to adopt it? My guess: Skunkworks. Some
tiny, rogue development team manages to use RoR simply because they're a
blip in upper management's radar, and does something really successful
(though small) as a result. Then, they go on tour throughout the
building, presenting and such. Unfortunately, I'm not working for that
tiny, rogue development team.

Devin

*Actually when I've mentioned Ruby at work it's inspired more often a
chuckle than a gasp. It's partly because they know how difficult it is
to get new technologies (well, new anything) adopted there, but I think
it's partly because it sounds like hype to them.** It'd be less of a
problem if the bureaucracy was this adversarial system against which the
agile development shops would try to push back, but, sadly, the
bureaucracy seems to have permeated the culture.

**Well, okay, there are a few that were, however, really interested in it.