Ruby has ruined my C++

John Carter

ptkwt

In article <Pine.LNX.4.63.0507140919460.29274@parore.tait.co.nz>,
John Carter <john.carter@tait.co.nz> wrote:
>These are exciting days in the world of C++. Every month the C/C++ User
>Journal is packed with exciting articles on brilliant innovations in the
>areas of...
> * Standards advancement
> Hashes WhooHoo! Regexes! At last!
> * Template metaprogramming
> * New template libraries.
> * Even Duck Typing!
>
>And I read it all and just feel vaguely nauseated.
>
>C++ is just so hard compared to Ruby. So fragile, so stiff, so
>error-prone with incredibly subtle gotchas on every corner.
>
>It pains me now to even look at C++, even though for many years it was my
>language of choice.
>
>Ruby advocacy is not merely sharing the pleasure, it's important for
>avoiding the pain of being forced financially back into writing C/C++...

C++ can be painful, but as you say things are changing in C++ land. There
are some nice developments going on, especially with Boost.

I have to use C++ for some things (Ruby on it's own just isn't fast enough
yet) but I do find that the two (Ruby and C++) complement each other
rather nicely (especially usign Swig or by embedding ruby into a C++ app).

Phil

Lothar Scholz

Hello John,

JC> And I read it all and just feel vaguely nauseated.

JC> C++ is just so hard compared to Ruby. So fragile, so stiff, so
JC> error-prone with incredibly subtle gotchas on every corner.

Not only when compared to Ruby. At the moment i don't know any other
language that is so hard to learn and understand in the details as C++.

Lothar Scholz http://www.ru...

jason r tibbetts

John Carter wrote:
> These are exciting days in the world of C++. Every month the C/C++ User
> Journal is packed with exciting articles on brilliant innovations in the
> areas of...
> * Standards advancement
> Hashes WhooHoo! Regexes! At last!
> * Template metaprogramming
> * New template libraries.
> * Even Duck Typing!
>
> And I read it all and just feel vaguely nauseated.
>
> C++ is just so hard compared to Ruby. So fragile, so stiff, so
> error-prone with incredibly subtle gotchas on every corner.
>
> It pains me now to even look at C++, even though for many years it was
> my language of choice.
>
> Ruby advocacy is not merely sharing the pleasure, it's important for
> avoiding the pain of being forced financially back into writing C/C++...

It's ruined my Java, too. I recently discovered java.lang.reflect.Proxy
(as used by the wonderful EasyMock framework), and I've since had to
suppress the urge to make everything an interface with so implementation
just so that I can make a Proxy out of it and call methods dynamically.
It's no Ruby (or Smalltalk), but it's something.

mathew

jason r tibbetts wrote:
> It's ruined my Java, too.

It's ruined my Perl. I can't stand Perl syntax any more. "Why do I have
to keep remembering these stupid semicolons? Why do I need $ symbols
everywhere? What are all these arrows for? Is this a value or a
reference? Aargh!"

Fortunately, that's exactly the effect I was hoping for.

mathew

Laurent Julliard

mathew wrote:
> jason r tibbetts wrote:
>
>> It's ruined my Java, too.
>

> It's ruined my Perl. I can't stand Perl syntax any more. "Why do I have
> to keep remembering these stupid semicolons? Why do I need $ symbols
> everywhere? What are all these arrows for? Is this a value or a
> reference? Aargh!"
>
> Fortunately, that's exactly the effect I was hoping for.
>

> mathew

Two!

Laurent

Kero van Gelder

> Two!

C++ managed to ruin itself in a few months.
Java took 2.5 years to ruin itself.
Ruby came after that.

After 4 years, Ruby still hasn't ruined itself.
Did I become more forgiving, or is the language really easier to use? :P

+--- Kero ------------------------- kero@chello@nl ---+
| all the meaningless and empty words I spoke |
| Promises -- The Cranberries |
+--- M38c --- http://members.chello.nl/k... ---+

Gennady

Kero wrote:
>>Two!
>

> C++ managed to ruin itself in a few months.

I actively use and still love C++ after 10 years. It does not prevent me
from loving Ruby even more ;-). I must admit, though, that my C++ style
got affected a great deal by the latter.

Gennady.

Joe Van Dyk

On 7/14/05, Gennady Bystritksy <gfb@tonesoft.com> wrote:
> Kero wrote:
> >>Two!
> >

> > C++ managed to ruin itself in a few months.
>
> I actively use and still love C++ after 10 years. It does not prevent me
> from loving Ruby even more ;-). I must admit, though, that my C++ style
> got affected a great deal by the latter.

Why do you love it?

Gennady

Joe Van Dyk wrote:

>>>C++ managed to ruin itself in a few months.
>>
>>I actively use and still love C++ after 10 years. It does not prevent me
>>from loving Ruby even more ;-). I must admit, though, that my C++ style
>>got affected a great deal by the latter.
>

> Why do you love it?

Hmm, I do not know. Maybe when you spent time to get to know something
in depth, you start appreciating it more. Maybe because it allows me to
refactor legacy C code to gradually get to OO implementation with all
its benefits (true unit testing, code reuse, etc.)

In any case, if you keep to a certain (hopefully right) way of doing
C++, it may be pretty enjoyable. I adopted many principles that often
keep me from trouble there. However, I know that I always can step aside
from them if I need to be more flexible sometimes.

And of course it makes you feel special that you are comfortable and can
deal with something many people only whining about ;-)

Gennady.

Jeff Waltzer