Gem hangs while updating source index (incompatible marshal file format

Tim Shadel

I'm new to Ruby, and gem is hanging when it attempts to update the gem
source index (which happens every time I try to install anything,
obviously). I've poked around the archives, and others had the same
symptom, but not the same problem. I'm on Windows XP Home, with Ruby
installed via Windows installer 1.8.2-15. Here's what happends, with
debug output.

>gem --debug --backtrace install rails
Exception `Errno::ENOENT' at
c:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/config_file.rb:12 - No such
file or directory - C:\Documents and Settings\Tim/.gemrc
Attempting local installation of 'rails'
Local gem file not found: rails*.gem
Attempting remote installation of 'rails'
Exception `TypeError' at
c:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/remote_installer.rb:222 -
incompatible marshal file format (can't be read)
format version 4.8 required; 45.45 given
Updating Gem source index for: http://gems.rub...

I've gone to the gems site and manually downloaded the yaml file, but
I can't seem to figure out how to inject that into the gems local file
organization (and searching for yaml brings up millioins of files, so
I can't really even guess at where to put it).

Any ideas of how to get the right marshal file format, or how to push
the yaml in manually would be much appreciated. I'm really hoping to
do some serious diving into Rails soon.

Thanks,

Tim
---------
http://tim...

1 Answer

Jim Weirich

On Wednesday 13 July 2005 02:15 am, Tim Shadel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm new to Ruby, and gem is hanging when it attempts to update the gem
> source index (which happens every time I try to install anything,
> obviously).
[...]
> >gem --debug --backtrace install rails
[...]
> Exception `TypeError' at
> c:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/remote_installer.rb:222 -
> incompatible marshal file format (can't be read)
> format version 4.8 required; 45.45 given
> Updating Gem source index for: http://gems.rub...

It is actually working as intended, except for the hang during the source
index update. Gem detects that loading your cache failed (incompatible
marshal format), so it attempts to download the source index.

You can just blow away the cache file. It is named "source_cache" in the
directory returned by the command 'gem env gempath'. If the `gem env
gempath` directory is protected, you may also have another copy of the cache
in $HOME/.gem.

Blowing it away will get rid of the marshal file format error. I don't know
if it will solve the download problem or not.

--
-- Jim Weirich jim@weirichhouse.org http://onest...