Does Ruby/Tk have all features as perl/Tk or java swing?

ngoc

7/12/2005 9:51:00 PM

Hi
I am perl and java programmer. I want to make a quite complex
application using a lot GUI components like Spreadsheet, Menu, Tab
etc..in Ruby. I have tried Ruby for some simple non-GUI applications and
really like the language. It will be time consumming if I start to write
software in Ruby and later find out that it lacks this and that. So
someone have worked much with Ruby/Tk can answer my questions.
1. Does Ruby/Tk have all features as perl/Tk or java swing?
2. Does Ruby have features like Java Applet running in a web browser?
3. JRuby is an interpreter that I can run both java and ruby on it. But
what is the benefit of that function for programmer and user?
Thanks
ngoc
10 Answers

Dido Sevilla

On 7/13/05, ngoc <ngoc@yahoo.com> wrote:
> 1. Does Ruby/Tk have all features as perl/Tk or java swing?

Perl/Tk perhaps. Swing, it's been a long time since I've programmed
that. A better bet for a GUI toolkit for Ruby in my experience is
FXRuby. It has all of the features you've mentioned and then some.

> 2. Does Ruby have features like Java Applet running in a web browser?

AFAIK, no. That would require a Ruby plugin for whatever browser you
want to support.

> 3. JRuby is an interpreter that I can run both java and ruby on it. But
> what is the benefit of that function for programmer and user?

Correction, JRuby is an implementation of the Ruby interpreter in
Java. The benefits of such a thing I think would be obvious: you can
access Java classes from a Ruby program, you can integrate the two
languages better.

Joe Van Dyk

On 7/12/05, Dido Sevilla <dido.sevilla@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7/13/05, ngoc <ngoc@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > 1. Does Ruby/Tk have all features as perl/Tk or java swing?
>
> Perl/Tk perhaps. Swing, it's been a long time since I've programmed
> that. A better bet for a GUI toolkit for Ruby in my experience is
> FXRuby. It has all of the features you've mentioned and then some.

What advantages does Fox have over Tk?

Dido Sevilla

7/13/2005

0

On 7/13/05, Joe Van Dyk <joevandyk@gmail.com> wrote:
> What advantages does Fox have over Tk?

Well, it seems to have a more full-featured set of widgets for one. It
seems that while Ruby/Tk is simpler to program FXRuby seems to offer
more for larger projects. It's also integrated into the One-Click
installer as of the latest version, where Ruby/Tk is not. The last
pretty much decided the issue for me, as I had to write a Ruby GUI
that had to run cleanly both on GNU/Linux and Windows and be
relatively painless to deploy, especially on Windows.

Hidetoshi NAGAI

Joe Van Dyk

On 7/12/05, Hidetoshi NAGAI <nagai@ai.kyutech.ac.jp> wrote:
> From: ngoc <ngoc@yahoo.com>
> Subject: Does Ruby/Tk have all features as perl/Tk or java swing?
> Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 06:55:50 +0900
> > 1. Does Ruby/Tk have all features as perl/Tk or java swing?
>
> perl/Tk uses the "ptk" library. I heard that includes standard Tk
> widgets and some megawidgets from some extensions.
> Ruby/Tk uses standard Tcl/Tk libraries. Then, the features of
> Ruby/Tk is less than perl/Tk.
> However, Ruby/Tk can use almost all of Tcl/Tk extensions.
> At leaset 1.8.2 or later, Ruby/Tk has support libraries for some
> Tcl/Tk extensions. If includes such supports, Ruby/Tk has more
> features than perl/Tk.
> And it will be also an advantage that Ruby/Tk can use the features
> of the latest Tcl/Tk.
> Ruby/Tk can work with the latest Tcl/Tk 8.4.11 or 8.5a3.

So if I want to use Tk 8.5a3, I just install it and I can use it
through Ruby? Do I need to recompile Ruby if I update Tk?

Hidetoshi NAGAI

Lothar Scholz

Hello Joe,

JVD> On 7/12/05, Dido Sevilla <dido.sevilla@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 7/13/05, ngoc <ngoc@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> > 1. Does Ruby/Tk have all features as perl/Tk or java swing?
>>
>> Perl/Tk perhaps. Swing, it's been a long time since I've programmed
>> that. A better bet for a GUI toolkit for Ruby in my experience is
>> FXRuby. It has all of the features you've mentioned and then some.

JVD> What advantages does Fox have over Tk?

Advantage:
Faster, smaller, better (more ruby like) API.

Disadvantage:
Not all widgets exist or at comparable quality
(TkCanvas, TkText, TkTable), no I18N and L17N.

If you need a basic feature it is much easier to add it with C++ to
FOX + Ruby Binding as it is with TK. In a complex application you
always have to do this, in simpler apps you don't need to care about
it.

Lothar Scholz http://www.ru...

mrt

What about wxRuby?

wx uses native widgets on all platforms, and is a good choice if you
want a cross-platform app that feels native. Personally, I don't like
the way Tk apps feel.

wx would be my first choice, if wxRuby is mature enough.

Lothar Scholz

Hello Mark,

MT> What about wxRuby?

MT> wx uses native widgets on all platforms, and is a good choice if you
MT> want a cross-platform app that feels native. Personally, I don't like
MT> the way Tk apps feel.

MT> wx would be my first choice, if wxRuby is mature enough.

What wxRuby are you talking about ?
0.6 or the current CVS head.

I never tried the latest releases, but 0.6 is definitely not mature
enough for mission critical applications. There are some serious
problems with garbage collection.

Lothar Scholz http://www.ru...

Naked Gonad

Eli Grubman wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Nov 2008 09:35:29 +0000, Naked Gonad
> <bodron57@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Eli Grubman wrote:

>>> Shiver me timbers!
>>>
>> Is that like tree hugging?
>
> Commie pinko faggot treehugging bedwetters.

There's one in every jungle (apparently).