A good TK

Dibya Prakash

I am working on a financial trading software.I need to create some
complex UI's.Can anyone help me with some good UI tools?Any other
suggestion is also welcome.

Thanks in advance

Regards
Dibya Prakash

9 Answers

Shashank Date

Hi Dibya,

--- Dibya Prakash <prakash.dibya@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am working on a financial trading software.I need to create some
> complex UI's.Can anyone help me with some good UI tools?Any other
> suggestion is also welcome.

Take a look at:

http://trug.stok.co.uk/wiki/index.php?title=Ruby_GUI_Toolkits#Th...

My personal favorite is wxRuby.

HTH.
-- shanko

__________________________________
Discover Yahoo!
http://discover.yahoo.com/o...

David Brady

Dibya Prakash wrote:

>Hi,
>I am working on a financial trading software.I need to create some
>complex UI's.Can anyone help me with some good UI tools?Any other
>suggestion is also welcome.

I dabbled with Ruby about a year ago, and got defeated by this very
problem. I picked Ruby up again a month ago, and I started back down
the Ruby GUI rathole this week. Here's my trail of breadcrumbs. Hope
it helps! :-)

Ruby/Tk
- Tk is a mature, script-driven set of UI components that has bindings
for most popular scripting languages. It runs on Windows, Mac and
Linux. Tk defines its own set of UI widgets, so the controls look
exactly the same on all three platforms. But let's be honest: Tk looks
like crap. Next to a well-polished UI, Tk looks pretty klunky. Because
it's script-driven, Tk slows down with very complex UIs. Ruby/Tk's
biggest feature is probably that it comes with the standard Ruby
install: people who use your application will only need Ruby, and won't
have to install another GUI toolkit. Tk is easy to learn and is ideally
suited to simple applications where the important thing is to give
someone an app with a functional UI without requiring them to install
the toolkit.

- Moderately well documented. If you know the tcl, perl, or python
bindings to Tk you'll have no problem with Ruby/Tk. If you DON'T know
those bindings, you'll have a tougher time: the Ruby/Tk approach seems
to be "learn the differences between perl/Tk and Ruby/Tk and then get
the perl/Tk manual."

- There's an excellent tutorial at
http://members.chello.nl/~k.vangelder/rub...

- A good reference at http://www.tcl.tk/man/tcl8.4/TkCmd/co....

Ruby/Gtk, Gtk+, Gtk2
- Gtk is a linux-native Gui toolkit that produces beautiful UIs for
Linux. I believe Windows and Mac ports exist, but I am not sure. The
tutorial for Gtk is pretty minimal, but it gives you the feel of the
toolkit and the reference manual is very thorough. The C-style bindings
of Gtk2 feel better to my brain than the Tcl-style bindings of Tk, and I
have had no trouble working with Gtk.

- A barebones tutorial is at
http://ruby-gnome2.sourceforge.jp/hiki.c...

- A superb reference is at http://ruby-gnome2.sourceforge.jp/hi...

wxRuby
Ruby has bindings to the wxWindows (now wxWidgets) libraries through
wxRuby. I haven't looked into wxWidgets in about a year. At the time
wxRuby was a hopeless endeavor: it had the same feel as Tk, "Learn the
difference between wxRuby and the C bindings to wxWidgets, and then use
the wxWidgets C reference", except the C reference didn't exist: you
needed to sift through the header files, and then sift through the
wxRuby source to find the discrepancies. wxRuby was infuriating: it was
beautiful, it was fast, it used native widgets for Linux, Windows and
Mac.... but the only way to learn wxRuby was to already know wxRuby.

Now, the reason I use words like "infuriating" is because of all the
cross-platform GUI toolkits, wxWidgets really does look like it's got
the most potential, and it's the one I would most like to be able to
use. If it was ugly or slow, I wouldn't care. :-) For all that I've
blasted it, I will say that, if I can ever figure it out, it's the
toolkit I intend to use.

I will also note that, like most of the Ruby community, they have come a
LONG way in the past year. There's a wiki with pretty robust-looking
documentation and some decent tutorials at:

http://wxruby.rubyforge.org/wi...

There are other GUI toolkits available, but I haven't explored them.
Something called "FOX" exists. There's a Qt toolkit that appears to
have gotten to a usable alpha state in 2002 and then been abandoned.
There may be others.

Good luck!

-dB

--
David Brady
ruby-talk@shinybit.com

Dibya Prakash

1. I have a fair idea about the Tcl binidng to Tk and also a bit of pearl.

2. I have used FOX 12 for the 1st version,however the output wasnt
very satisfactory.

3.For the application,speed will be a concern.

4.I just checked wxRuby.........seems to be much better than FOX.

Thanks n Regards
Dibya prakash

On 7/11/05, David Brady <ruby_talk@shinybit.com> wrote:
> [...]
> use. If it was ugly or slow, I wouldn't care. :-) For all that I've
> blasted it, I will say that, if I can ever figure it out, it's the
> toolkit I intend to use.
>
> I will also note that, like most of the Ruby community, they have come a
> LONG way in the past year. There's a wiki with pretty robust-looking
> documentation and some decent tutorials at:
>
> http://wxruby.rubyforge.org/wi...
>
> There are other GUI toolkits available, but I haven't explored them.
> Something called "FOX" exists. There's a Qt toolkit that appears to
> have gotten to a usable alpha state in 2002 and then been abandoned.
> There may be others.
>
> Good luck!
>
> -dB
>
> --
> David Brady
> ruby-talk@shinybit.com
> I'm having a really surreal day... OR AM I?

Richard Dale

> There's a Qt toolkit that appears to
> have gotten to a usable alpha state in 2002 and then been abandoned.
> There may be others.
That is Ruby/Qt which is no longer maintained and only worked with Qt 1.x
and Qt 2.x. There is a newer Qt binding called QtRuby for Qt 3.x (and a
version for Qt 4.x is being developed). The Qt 3.x version runs on
Linux/Unix/BSD* and Mac OS X, and the Qt 4.x version will also run on
Windows.

QtRuby can be used with the Qt Designer UI building tool to visually layout
your UI, and produce a .ui file. You can either read in the xml .ui file at
runtime directly, or there is a QtRuby tool to convert it to ruby code.

There is some description here:
http://developer.kde.org/language-bind...

You can download the source from here:
http://rubyforge.org/projects...

-- Richard

Lothar Scholz

Hello David,

DB> - Tk is a mature, script-driven set of UI components that has bindings
DB> for most popular scripting languages. It runs on Windows, Mac and
DB> Linux. Tk defines its own set of UI widgets, so the controls look
DB> exactly the same on all three platforms. But let's be honest: Tk looks
DB> like crap. Next to a well-polished UI, Tk looks pretty klunky.

Yes, but there is a new widget set that uses the plattform theming
engine on each machine, named "Tile" . Don't know if this is already
useable and integrated in ruby.

DB> - Gtk is a linux-native Gui toolkit that produces beautiful UIs for
DB> Linux. I believe Windows and Mac ports exist, but I am not sure. The

No there is no working native MacOXS port, you need a X11 server.

DB> I will also note that, like most of the Ruby community, they have come a
DB> LONG way in the past year. There's a wiki with pretty robust-looking
DB> documentation and some decent tutorials at:

DB> http://wxruby.rubyforge.org/wi...

I think the problem is that the old version 0.6 is not developed
further and the new version that uses SWIG for the bindings has only
one person working on it and the development seem to have stopped.

DB> There are other GUI toolkits available, but I haven't explored them.
DB> Something called "FOX" exists. There's a Qt toolkit that appears to
DB> have gotten to a usable alpha state in 2002 and then been abandoned.
DB> There may be others.

Don't know about QT but i know a lot about FOX. The worst problem with
fox is missing I18N and L17N. Documentation is good, maybe the best of
all documentation available. I hope that the developers of other
toolkits take a look at it and provide something like this also for there
toolkits. FOX is very fast but indeed ugly if you don't add a layer on
top of it.

Lothar Scholz http://www.ru...

Lothar Scholz

Hello Dibya,

DP> 2. I have used FOX 12 for the 1st version,however the output wasnt
DP> very satisfactory.

You mean the look & feel ?
If this is what you mean then look at my IDE to see what can be done
with FOX. Sure you need to put some energy into it as some of the
widgets must be extended.

DP> 3.For the application,speed will be a concern.

It's a GUI toolkti, so it shouldn't be such a big problem for any
toolkit.

DP> 4.I just checked wxRuby.........seems to be much better than FOX.

Lothar Scholz http://www.ru...

Hidetoshi NAGAI

Joe Van Dyk

On 7/11/05, Hidetoshi NAGAI <nagai@ai.kyutech.ac.jp> wrote:
> Subject: Re: A good TK
> Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 17:44:49 +0900
> > Yes, but there is a new widget set that uses the plattform theming
> > engine on each machine, named "Tile" . Don't know if this is already
> > useable and integrated in ruby.
>
> Supported. ;-) However, please use the latest version on CVS.
>
> # Please see "<ruby-lib-dir>/tkextlib/SUPPORT_STATUS" also.
> # Tcl/Tk extensions support on Ruby/Tk is included Ruby 1.8.2
> # or later. I'm sorry but libraries on Ruby 1.8.2 are buggy.
> # So, I recommend to use the latest version.
>
> If Tcl/Tk libraries linked to tcltklib can load "Tile" extension
> (for example, use ActiveTcl binary package), Ruby/Tk can use the
> features of "Tile" extension by "require 'tkextlib/tile'".
> Then, Ruby/Tk can use not only themes written in Tcl/Tk, but also
> themes written in Ruby/Tk. A sample theme defined by Ruby/Tk style
> is "<ruby-src>/ext/tk/sample/tkextlib/tile/themes/kroc.rb".

First I heard of Tile. Should I use it instead of BWidgets or
IWidgets or TkTable or whatever else is out there?

Hidetoshi NAGAI