About undisclosed recipient

bartek.rylko

7/9/2005 4:07:00 PM

Hi all, Any one got idea about how to set undisclosed recipient? I put
all recipient in BCC field while the To field don't want to leave
blank. but neither fail to place an empty email address nor i don't
want to put my own email address inside. www.bartekrr.info

2 Answers

Josef 'Jupp' Schugt

Hi!

At Sun, 10 Jul 2005 01:10:47 +0900, bartek.rylko@gmail.com wrote:

> Hi all, Any one got idea about how to set undisclosed recipient? I put
> all recipient in BCC field while the To field don't want to leave
> blank. but neither fail to place an empty email address nor i don't
> want to put my own email address inside. www.bartekrr.info

You could use 'nobody@example.com'. It is guaranteed by IANA that
example.com is *not* assigned. But please don't ask where all that
mail traffic goes to (/dev/null I suppose).

In principle you could use 'nobody@nowhere.invalid' but that might run
you into trouble because some people don't know that despite the name
'invalid' is a valid TLD.

What about using an address like as_you_like_it@sofort-mail.de
(sofort-mail.de provides throw-away addresses). Note that messages to
such an address are readable by anybody who knows the address in
question!
Josef 'Jupp' SCHUGT
--
2005-07-04 was the darkest day in the history of space flight. It was
the first time a weapon of mass destruction was tested on another

Glenn Parker

> At Sun, 10 Jul 2005 01:10:47 +0900, bartek.rylko@gmail.com wrote:
>
>>Hi all, Any one got idea about how to set undisclosed recipient? I put
>>all recipient in BCC field while the To field don't want to leave
>>blank. but neither fail to place an empty email address nor i don't
>>want to put my own email address inside. www.bartekrr.info

The correct way to avoid putting anything meaningful in the "To" field
of an e-mail message is to use a "group" address with no members. The
convention is to label the empty group something like
"undisclosed-recipients" as a hint to the recipients. It looks like this:

To: undisclosed-recipients:;

The ":;" at the end are significant. For a non-empty group, there would
be a comma-separated list of addresses between those two characters.

--
Glenn Parker | glenn.parker-AT-comcast.net | <http://www.tetrafoi...