microsoft.public.dotnet.framework

Reinstalling windows XP

Julia Sheppard

8/27/2008 10:48:00 AM

Hello, I'm trying to reinstall Windows XP with the same disc it was
originally installed with. When I try to do this a message appears saying
this isn't possible as it is an older version of window but if I want to
install it I will lose all my settings etc. The problem is I can't actually
go ahead and install this disc. Please can someone help me???!!! Many thnx
2 Answers

PvdG42

"Julia Sheppard" <JuliaSheppard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello, I'm trying to reinstall Windows XP with the same disc it was
> originally installed with. When I try to do this a message appears saying
> this isn't possible as it is an older version of window but if I want to
> install it I will lose all my settings etc. The problem is I can't
> actually
> go ahead and install this disc. Please can someone help me???!!! Many thnx

You are getting the message because you have installed one or more service
packs for Windows XP since the original installation. You basically have two
choices:
1. Check the CD to see which Service pack came on it. It the CD includes
SP2, for example, it should say that. Uninstall any Service Packs not listed
on the CD, then reinstall XP from CD.
2. Opt for a clean install by booting from the CD, then taking that option.
You should back up all files you want/need first, as this option will format
the OS partition and install XP from scratch.

Peter Duniho

On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 03:48:01 -0700, Julia Sheppard
<JuliaSheppard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Hello, I'm trying to reinstall Windows XP with the same disc it was
> originally installed with. [...]

Your question doesn't belong in this newsgroup. This newsgroup is for
questions related to writing software using the .NET Framework only.
Please find a more appropriate forum.