microsoft.public.dotnet.framework

How to create customer defined user interface layout with xaml

Ben

8/26/2008 5:25:00 PM

We are developing a new WPF application. We have created an
application that code generates some of the user interface controls
into XAML from earlier created Entities. The problem I am stuck with
is that some of our customers want their WPF form controls laid out in
a different order than other customers. Has anyone done anything like
this with WPF and if so could you please share some insight on how to
store control order, build release, etc? I appreciate your help.
Thanks
1 Answer

Pavel Minaev

On Aug 26, 9:24 pm, Ben <bcummi...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> We are developing a new WPF application.  We have created an
> application that code generates some of the user interface controls
> into XAML from earlier created Entities.  The problem I am stuck with
> is that some of our customers want their WPF form controls laid out in
> a different order than other customers.  Has anyone done anything like
> this with WPF and if so could you please share some insight on how to
> store control order, build release, etc?  I appreciate your help.

You can always expose your .xaml files as external files (not embedded
resources), and use XamlReader to parse and load them. Then, customers
can customize to their heart's content. So long as it's just layout
and visual styling (including additional decorative visuals, such as
shapes) that changes, and no controls are removed and data bindings
changed, it should work fine.