microsoft.public.dotnet.framework

Time Line Display of Data

dch3

8/25/2008 1:48:00 PM

We're looking at building a scheduleing app using ASP.NET for the reporting
aspect of it. The front end will be an Access database connected to SQLServer
which will serve up the data via ASP.NET everywhich way you can think of.

I know that there are ways to dispaly DB data in the typical row column
format, however I'm need to know if there's a preexisting control that will
create a pivot-type display of the data - using DATA in the various cells as
opposed to quantities. Basically the output will need to be something along
the lines of

10/01 10/02 10/3 10/04
John OFFICE VAC VAC OFFICE
Linda NY NY NY TRAVEL
Bill VAC VAC VAC VAC

The data will be structured as one person, one date in the main table for
the schedule with corresponding records detailing their location and
assignment. Eventually, we'll also need to format the data as...

10/01 10/02 10/3 10/04
OFFICE
John John
NY
Linda Linda Linda Linda
VAC
John John
Bill Bill Bill

So is there a preexisting control that will work for either scenario or
should I write something custom for either? Eventually I'll like to be able
to collapse the various groups in Example 2 for the sake of view each
individual location.