microsoft.public.dotnet.framework

Siteminder and HttpWebRequest

Neeraj

8/19/2008 12:53:00 PM

Hi

I am creating a console application for server monitoring.
Application uses 'SiteMinder' for authentication.
I want to login to the application by sending data programatically by
using HttpWebRequest.
Even if I am sending required data to the page, it is getting re-
directed to the siteminder login screen. (I have used Fiddler to see
the xact data that gets send to the server.)

Can I know any link where I can find Siteminder + HttpWebUrl examples?

Regards,
Neeraj.
1 Answer

Jason Keats

Neeraj wrote:
> I am creating a console application for server monitoring.
> Application uses 'SiteMinder' for authentication.
> I want to login to the application by sending data programatically by
> using HttpWebRequest.
> Even if I am sending required data to the page, it is getting re-
> directed to the siteminder login screen. (I have used Fiddler to see
> the xact data that gets send to the server.)

I suspect your problem is caused by the fact that you've got two
applications using the one web.config file.

The original application probably uses Forms Authentication, which will
want to redirect to the login form if you're not already logged in.

You now have a separate application, using HttpWebRequest, trying to
call a web page (without being logged in) - so it redirects you to the
login page.

To get around this, you need to add the page you're calling to the
web.config file (near the bottom). Something like

<location path="MyNewLogin.aspx">
<system.web>
<authorization>
<allow users="*" />
</authorization>
</system.web>
</location>

- where MyNewLogin.aspx is a new form, without a GUI, that you can use
to pass your login credentials - something that's not a part of the
existing application.

HTH